Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Named Points

Creator
Creator

What is the best way to create named points (or tag existing points in the model) and use them for the basis assembly constraint.

Also extract the names and coordinates of these points for export into .txt or .csv . For use in inspection of finished parts and assembling to new parts within NX

Perhaps there is already a way to do this and i am not aware of what it is called

3 REPLIES

Re: Creating Named Points

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

As for the naming of Points or for that matter, any object, just select your points, press MB3, select the 'Properties' option and when the dialog opens select the 'General' tab.  Now you can enter a name to assign to the object you've selected and if you've selected more than one object, you can toggle ON the 'Add index to name' option and it will append a number such as 'point1', 'point2', 'point3', etc.to your points.  And before you ask, unless you select them one at a time, there is no way to control the numerical order.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Creator
Creator

Yes thanks I now have the named points, and I can get some point data from any level of the assembly in the coordinates of the assembly. This much is good.

I have x but not y&z. Seems I don't have the excel formula syntax correct yet.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"Point" is an array formula. You will need to select three cells (for X, Y, and Z), enter the formula, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to complete the array formula.

In your case, select cells C2, D2, and E2, enter "=Point(B2)", then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter.