Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Assembly with Part Family as Components - Getting Error Part is Temporary

Pioneer
Pioneer

Dear Forum,

I am creating an assembly with components made from part families.  When I replacement a component within the assembly with another part within the same part family NX is throwing an error stating, "The following components were excluded from the replacement operation:  Part is temporary".  Will NX not replace a component of a part family with another part within the same part family?

3 REPLIES

Re: Creating an Assembly with Part Family as Components - Getting Error Part is Temporary

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @wej0901

This is due to the "On-the-fly" created part family members that are temporary in the session.  Temporary parts cannot be replaced.  Replace Component closes the part to replace, and this may have unintended side effects if the part is
temporary - typically when there are multiple instances of the temporary part(s) and only a single instance is being replaced.

Please save the parts before replacing.

Regards, Ben

Re: Creating an Assembly with Part Family as Components - Getting Error Part is Temporary

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Ben,

I've saved the assembly and the components.  The problem still is happening. When right clicking on the component and selecting replace component, NX allows me to select another component of the part family but still throws an error and doesn't replace the component.  Do I need to create all the components of the part family and have them loaded in session in order to replace them within the assembly?

I am unclear about your comment.  Can you please provide more explaination?  

R/  Bill Johnson

Pioneer
Pioneer

I got it.  I had to save the top level assembly before replacing the component with another member of the part family.

thanks.