cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating or editing all draftings from an assembly components in NX with TC

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My experience with TC is very short and I would like to learn the best workflows for creating and editing drawings of a product/assembly I have just "finished" (new modifications always appear). I mean, once I have created and finished a product that is an assembly I start making draftings. Inside NX I open components as displayed parts then I create draftings but sometimes I don't know which component I have already created a drafting and which other not, so I have to open TC and look for each item in order to know if the drafting is already created. This is a bit slow or at least I don't know how to make it quick.

Is there a better way to do that? Maybe in TC environment? Can I list all components of an assembly and directly see which one has not drafting created yet?

The same happens when I have to edit a drafting of a component, I can't open it directly from NX environment (which I don't understand why it doesn't appear as parent of the part, since NX/TC knows which drafings is from each model) so I have to copy the item number and search for it. Any better way to do that?

3 REPLIES

Re: Creating or editing all draftings from an assembly components in NX with TC

Phenom
Phenom

Following is my ER:

mf_re_20170109.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I think your ER is for a different purpose. I would like to know if parts/assemblies inside TC have draftings associated but in different files (master model). TC store them parts/assemblies with their draftings in different files but inside the same "item" from the database. But from the NX environment managed by TC if I want to know if a part/assembly has a drafting already made or if I want to open the drafting, I do a new search in order to find all files associated to the item. I don't know if this is the best workflow since NX/TC know if the part/assembly I have already open has a drafting related, so it may open it in a more direct way.

Sorry if I did not explain it properly, my english is not very good. I guess that you mean look for parts with drafting in the same file, I find that quite useful too and I think that not very difficult to implement to look for files that have drafting sheets created inside.

Phenom
Phenom

Like other CAD software, NX doesn’t distinguish Assembly, Part and Drawing files. Basically, Every NX part is an assembly or potential assembly file. MMT file is also an assembly file.

If I’m not mistaken, MMT is just a name only! A MMT, “A_dwg01.prt” is a parent assembly of a “A.prt” assembly (NX part) and both files could contain the drawings of “A”! First of all, it’s a drawing duplication which shouldn’t be allowed.

So with native NX (I don’t have TC), the basic need is to find a method to filter the files contain drawings and the file name (*_dwg*)will be the secondary filter to identify MMT files.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW