Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom drawing border in templates is changing size with scale, why?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi

Is anyone able to help with a problem we're having?

We have recently created or own drawing border and would like it to be selectable from the list of templates available in the open drawing screen. I have followed online tutorials and have succeded in populating the list with our borders but when you open up the drawing and change the scale to fit the model within the drawing space, the drawing border changes in size too.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Custom drawing border in templates is changing size with scale, why?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Are you working in Master Model mode where the Drawing is an Assembly with the part to be drafted as a Component in the Assembly file, which contains the Drawing border?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi John

I imported our standard border as a dxf into a part file and then followed the instructions on this link.

http://allyplm.com/knowledgebase/2013/1/30/how-to-create-a-drawing-template-and-add-to-nx-75-templat...

Do I have to do it as an assembly? How would I add part to the assembly when opening it up from the drawing list?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

James,

It sounds like you used the File/Import/AutoCAD DXF/DWG command into an existing part.  With this method you don't get all the options for the import.  Use File/Open and change the type to DWG then open the part. On the import wizard you will have more options on the options tab for where the objects show up in the new drawing template.

The important option will be "Send Model Data to" and you should select "Drawing Sheet" and not drawing view.  This will make the objects show up on the Drawing sheet itself and not in a view on the sheet that will get resized with the scale.  You should not see any Drawing views in the navigator while looking at your template drawing sheet.

By the way if you are in NX8 or later you can turn on the "Drawing Format" toolbar while in drafting and replace your old zones with new more robust zones.  See documentation for all that it offers.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Kent
Thanks for your help.
I did try File/Import/DXF/DWG first but it just brought up an MS DOS window for a short while that displayed an error and closes.
So the only way I got it to open was using File/Open. There was no import wizard though it just put it on one of the planes in model space.
Since reading your post I have tried again, this time looking at the options available on the open window. One of these options is "Import to Drafting as Drawing Views", when I tick this option and open, a white text document appears with Reading part: C:\users......
Writing part:C:\users......
Elapsed time: 0 mins 0 seconds
Actual time: 0 mins 1 second
When I close this window I have a blank drawing sheet and the background is grey instead of the usual; white when drafting.
Ticking the option "Import to Drafting as Drawing Views" makes the option "Include in model space" become available. When I open the file with both ticked I get a drawing sheet with the border in the correct place but the background is still grey and the lines become green and the writing yellow. Out of curiosity I saved this file and put it into the templates folder. When I start a new drawing I had the same scaling issue as before but with the added colour issues.
I really would like to find the options you spoke about in your post, "Send Model Data to" and "Drawing Sheet", as I hope they will solve my problem.

Unfortunately we only have nx 7.5 so I can't utilise the added drawing border functions.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

James,

The improvements to the DXF/DWG open started in NX7.5.2.  What update are you running?  Go to help/About NX/System information.  You should be at 7.5.5.4 to be totally up to date.  You could have maintenance patches on top of that update as well

I tested in NX7.5.2.5 and on the open dialog when you click options you would get "Send Model Data to" and "Send layouts to settings".  When I set to Drawing sheet it did not work but when I set both to Drawing view it did.  I had to switch to drafting and double click on my Sheet to make it active.  You are correct you will see your original line colors.  You can make sure your format layer is selectable and then you can select all and edit the object display color to black if you want.  Or you could just right click select the Drawing node in the Part navigator and set to Monochrome so that colors don't exist in the drawing.

For the background color you have to set as follows.

If  working with Monochrome set:

In the Preferences --> Visualization --> Color
tab --> toggle Monochrome Display on --> set Background color by selecting gray box.

If working without Monochrome set:

Preferences --> Color Palette --> press the Edit Background icon in the
Selected Color section --> set/select the desired color/shade.

I was able to make all my lines black, turn on monochrome, and change the background to white.

I changed the scale of Sheet 1 from 1:1 to 1:5 and nothing happened.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi
Thanks for your help. I'm only on 7.5.0.32 so I'm going to install the updates and try you solution.

Pioneer
Pioneer
I have updated to 7.5.5.4, followed your instructions to the letter and it is still changing size with scale? Do I need to do something with the layers to tell it that this is the border so ignore scale?

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi
I've done it by setting "Send Model Data to" Drawing Sheet and "Send layouts to" none.
Phew, now to work out all the automatic text.