Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Default re material setting

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So reading another thread, @BenBroad posted the following image, which prompted a thought on an issue we are dealing with.

The choices for "Resolve Multiple Materials", are prompt and automatically.  Prompt is obvious, that's the setting we have, and we get a prompt to pick a material, sometimes multiple times, for assemblies.  The question is, what is "automatically"?

Does it automatically assign the last local material added to the file? or the material that was explicitly applied by the user?  what are the criteria "automatically" uses?

From the help files, I got:

Resolve Multiple Materials
This option specifies how the part material is determined when multiple materials are present.

Default Name: NX_AmbiguousPartMaterial

Valid Options: [Prompt,Automatically]

Which doesn't really answer anything, lol

screen.jpg

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Customer Default re material setting

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

this is the prompt, that I am assuming this setting will either give you, or automatically solve.

PartMaterialSelection.JPG

-Dave

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DaveK 

From what I've read (based on an existing PR) if you set Resolve Multiple Materials to "Automatically" you're allowing NX to choose which material to use if multiple exist.  Therefore, NX can pick from any of the materials that are assigned to bodies in the part and it may not choose the same material every time, but as long as it chooses a material that is actually assigned in the part it is working correctly.

Regards, Ben

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

wow, that sounds dangerous...I think i'll stick with "prompt", rather than play the material lottery, and hope our parts are manufactured out of the proper material.

thanks @BenBroad 

-Dave

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @DaveK 

I just had the behavior (my explanation) confirmed by product development.

Regards, Ben

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks.  Can development provide a rational explanation for allowing the material to be randomly assisgned, if more than one exists in the part?  say a material from a wave link, used for reference?

For now, we will continue to tolerate that repeatitive prompt to select a material, that we get for assemblies, and I will hope that the users hit "cancel", rather than inadvertantly assign in incorrect material.   I've seen it done, and had an entire batch of parts made out of steel, instead of aluminum.

Pretty sure I have an ER submitted in that regard Smiley Happy

-Dave