Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Defaults question

Builder
Builder

I made  a few changes to the Customer Defaults in the model (inch) template and those appear to have propagated to other templates as well (the mm model and both assembly templates).  I was expecting to have to edit all of those individually.  So it that how Customer Defaults works? Any changes automatically get propagated to all the templates? Just want to make sure I understand how his works for future reference.  Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Customer Defaults question

Siemens Esteemed Contributor Siemens Esteemed Contributor
Siemens Esteemed Contributor

Hi @pmk3,

Customer defaults can be part or session specific.

• Part specific CDs must be manually edited in the templates (unless you use the "blank" template, which builds a new part based off of the modified CDs).
  • Session specific CDs will be inherited in all parts

There are some exceptions to this rule, for example some CDs are write-once and predefine preferences in applications.

How to identify if a CD is part or session specific?

Click on Find Default (the binoculars icon on the top right of the CD UI) and enter in keywords to identify your CD.  Expand the Find Default dialog to reveal the 'Scope' column (Part, or Session).

Regards, Ben

Ben Broad | PLM Enthusiast | Siemens GCSS

NX (v17 - 1872) | Teamcenter (9 - 12)
Value Based Licensing | Adaptive UI | BETA Registration

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There are 2 scopes of customer defaults

- session level

- part level

Ignoring dialog memory (which will affect the session ones)

Session ones are things like size of a block.

So you create a block

- Inch units defaults to 4 x 4 x 4 

- you change to 1 x 2 x 3 & create the block (OK the dialog)

- later you go to create another block, the size is 1 x 2 x 3

- you close/exit NX

- you restart NX

- you create a block, dialog defaults are reset to customer default values of 4 x 4 x 4

(if you had dialog memory turned on, in the last step it would change to the last value you entered/hit "OK" on  - 1 x 2 x 3)

Part level defaults are ONLY used if

- you create a new part using a "BLANK" template 

- in preferences (or wherever) you update using defaults

Otherwise, the preferences in the PART over-ride the customer default values.

Example: MOST "drafting" defaults are part level defaults.

So you can change the customer default values for these defaults as much as you want - they will NEVER be used if you use an existing "template" part to create new parts from - you MUST edit the TEMPLATE PART(S) and change the preferences there.

Hope this makes things somewhat clearer.

If you make a change, you can click on the icon to "manage current settings", and in that dialog, scroll to the right to find the "Scope" column

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@pmk3,

That can be a bit tricky - some defaults impact NX system wide, meaning it doesn't matter if you're opening an existing file or creating a new file from a template or not, NX follows what is coming from the Customer Defaults - other defaults only impact new files. Knowing specifically what you changed would help explain things a bit more.

This is purely semantics on my part, but I feel it's incorrect to state you've changed Customer Defaults IN any file (or template), because that's not what you have to do or how it really works. You can start NX and simply open the Customer Defaults dialog without ever opening a part any changes made aren't saved IN the actual .prt file (templates are .prt files) - they are stored in the appropriate Customer Defaults file.

I hope that makes sense.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

Builder
Builder

Thanks for all the responses.

The only templates I've been using are the standard "model-plain-1-inch/mm-template.prt" and "assembly_inch/mm-template.prt".  So how do you tell "blank" ones? (blank in the name?)

The specific setting I was changing is the Reference Curve color.  I now realize I was mistaken about it propagating through.  If I go to Customer Defaults and check Sketch > General > Part Setting tab this is what I see, shown below (i.e. reference curves as magenta, as desired). That's why I thought it had propagated. But if I actually created a model and tested it, reference curves still appeared in the old olive green color.  

Customer defaults sketch-general-partsetting-ref-curves.png

Another mistake I had made was going to the Customer Defaults, rather than Preferences, to edit this in the template files.  Needless to say, I was very confused on how this all worked. I'm maybe a little less so now. Smiley Wink At least I have the template files edited so this works as expected.

There is one thing I'm still not clear on. If this setting has to be edited in the template files, why is it listed in the Customer Defaults? Is there another environment where that Customer Default setting for Reference Curve color is used?

Thanks for all the help!

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom
@pmk3,

The Sketch Reference Curve color setting is part specific. So that means that if you use a template when you create a new part (File -> New -> choose template), the Customer Defaults will NOT affect the new files. If you choose Blank, then the Customer Defaults setting will be applied for the Reference Curve color.

With that being said, and if you do have any users choosing the Blank choice (if even available) from the template list in File -> New, then you need to change both the templates AND the Customer Defaults for this particular default.

Files that you OPEN will have to have this setting changed within the file itself via Sketch Preferences -> Part Settings.

Clear as mud? Seriously - if you don't understand, please post back and someone will try and make more sense of it.
Tim
NX 11.0.2.7 MP11 Rev. A
GM TcE v11.2.3.1
GM GPDL v11-A.3.6

@pmk3 wrote:

The only templates I've been using are the standard "model-plain-1-inch/mm-template.prt" and "assembly_inch/mm-template.prt".  So how do you tell "blank" ones? (blank in the name?)

There is one thing I'm still not clear on. If this setting has to be edited in the template files, why is it listed in the Customer Defaults? Is there another environment where that Customer Default setting for Reference Curve color is used?

When you select "File > New" there is an option to select a "blank" template.  This results in a hard coded part being created that reads the current CDs during creation.  It is for this reason that you cannot modify the blank template.

The CDs list all available defaults from which new parts (new templates) can be created (if using the blank templates).  The example templates supplied with NX are generated based on the OOTB CDs, you modify the example templates for your own use, or create your own templates (using the blank option).

Having edited CDs you can retrieve them into your current part, in some applications, to override the current preferences (so in those cases you would want to have the setting available in the template and in the CDs).  One example is when editing Drafting Preferences - at the bottom of the dialog is an 'Inherit' section where you can opt to retrieve predefined CDs. 

If you're not seeing the change you made to Reference Curves in your template you'll have to manually edit it (in the Sketch Preferences).

Builder
Builder

Thanks for the addtional responses. This is all (mostly) making sense now.

So as I understand it, you can use Customer Defaults to create a customized modeling environment in a "blank" model, without the need to edit a template file. I assume I can use it to create any of the templates listed in the New dialog (shown below). Is that right?  I can definitely see the usefulness of that. 

Thanks again for all the help.  It was a little convoluted to figure out at first, but now I see how it works.

Blank template in gateway application.png  

@pmk3 wrote:

Thanks for the addtional responses. This is all (mostly) making sense now.

So as I understand it, you can use Customer Defaults to create a customized modeling environment in a "blank" model, without the need to edit a template file. I assume I can use it to create any of the templates listed in the New dialog (shown below). Is that right?  I can definitely see the usefulness of that. 

Yes, it looks like you understand it now.  Once you've created your own templates you would then need to modify the pax files that are used to display the templates on the File New dialog.