Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Defaults settings in NX9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I have created customized settings in customer defaults by using SITE directory. My defaults files are created in the directory called for eg. C:\Programfiles\my_custom_dir\startup

in the strtup directory the NX90_site.dpv file has been created.

Now I would like to use the customized NX90_site.dpv file at client location also. Can anyone please explain what kind of settings to be done at client desktop.

It would be great help if someone replies quickly.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Yunus

7 REPLIES

Re: Customer Defaults settings in NX9

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Ideally the site dpv file is placed on a shared network drive. You would then set the variable UGII_SITE_DIR to point to my_custom_dir on the network.

EG:

Network share: N:\my_custom_dir\startup
(nx90_site.dpv goes in the startup directory as before)

Windows Env Variable on the client (or edit ugii_env.dat):

UGII_SITE_DIR=N:\my_custom_dir

More information on UGII_SITE_DIR:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:customer_defaults_default_levels_rt

More information on managing the levels of customer defaults:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:index_customizing_nx_installation:id...

Regards, Ben

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is the "Client location" on your network, or at a different company/location (i.e. no WAN access)?

If so, one way:

- figure out what the network drive is where you will put the site customizations on their network (e.g. N:\my_custom_dir\NX9

- configure your system the same way. NOTE: You can map N:\ to point back to your own C:\ drive - e.g. (net use N: \\%computername%\C$ /PERSISTENT:NO)

- set everything up

- copy to their system (or put on thumb drive or whatever)

- then work out a plan on how to do updates

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have one more question. Can we define the env. variable as below in "ugii_env.dat" file at client location users?

UGII_USER_DIR=N:\my_custom_dir\startup\nx90_site.dpv

I have the files as below,

nx90_site.dpv

nx90_site.xsl

nx9_Drafting_Standard_site.dpv

nx9_Drafting_Standard_site.xsl

all the above files I placed in client network directory (which is at different network location),

N:\my_custom_dir\NX9\startup

Could you please guide me, in this case what kind of env variable I need to define in ugii_env.dat located at clients user desktop.

Thanks,

Yunus

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

UGII_USER_DIR (and UGII_GROUP_DIR and UGII_SITE_DIR) should point at FOLDERS (not files)

I would point

UGII_SITE_DIR at N:\my_custom_dir\VERSION\  (where version could be "NX9" or "N10" or ...)

i.e. N:\my_custom_dir\NX9

Then in N:\my_custom_dir\NX9 create folde r"startup" (i.e. N:\my_custom_dir\NX9\Startup) and put

nx90_site.dpv

nx90_site.xsl

in the "startup" folder.

I've never dealt with drafting standards so am not 100% sure how to set them up.

You can define UGII_SITE_DIR in either:

- a .BAT file used to start NX (so users would use "Yunus_Start_NX9.bat", instead of the Start -> Programs -> ... -> NX9.0 to start NX).  NOTE: This .bat could be in N:\my_custom_dir\NX9 folder, so if you have to edit it, you only have to do so in one place.

- the ugii_env.dat file.

NOTE:

You could put the ugii_env.dat file in N:\my_custom_dir\NX9 folder, and use the .BAT file to define. UGII_ENV_FILE=N:\my_custom_dir\NX9\ugii_env.dat 

This way all of your customizations are in ONE place (shared by all users at the site).  It makes updates/editing much easier.

You might also want to search in the "NX Customization and Programming" forum for the NX9 version of the "NXCustom" or "NX Custom" setup (now maintained by Gerrit K).  Download the ZIP, and go thru the "readme" files.  This is a standard mechanism used by many sites to maintain their customizations.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. It is a great help.

Thanks,

Yunus

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can find information about how to create and point to custom drafting standard files in the Help collection here:
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_help/#uid:index_drafting:id700913:standard_sta...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I will check and let you know if anything is required.

Thanks,

Yunus