Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutout normal to surface

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a square tube with a lines path along its inner surfaces I want to create a cutout to remove material from the lines to one end of the tube, I need the cutout to be normal to surface. Part is not a sheet. What is the quicker/best tool to do that? I mean something like normal cutout in Solidedge.

8 REPLIES

Re: Cutout normal to surface

Phenom
Phenom

@Javiduc,

See if this example makes sense to you....if the tube is planar, you can use the planar face as the Extrude's direction vector.  Alternatively, you can place a Datum CSYS on the planar face, Sketch your curves then Extrude.  Several ways to accomplish this.

If not planar, you'll need to give an example.

-Tim

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The tube I want to make the cutout is square but the lines are the intersection with a round section tube, so it is not a planar cut.

Phenom
Phenom

If you had given a picture or a sketch would have answered you quickly.

Check the attached part. Edit the sketches as you wish.

mf_tube_20180316.JPG

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you @mike_fdo your method worked perfectly. Sorry I didnt attach a picture/file before, just too busy when I posted.

I attach now just in case it helps other forum members in the same situation. What I try to represent is the geometry of a square tube cutted by a CNC tube cutting machine, now, the external edge of the cut is the path the laser head must follow in order to the internal face almost exactly match a round tube where we will weld this one.

Captura.PNG

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

You can also use the Law extension, it can define the extension surface as 90 to the interior/exterior faces.

Regards,

Tomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Depending on your manufacturing method, you can do this in sheet metal, however the tube must be split (or close it in modeling later):

2018-03-20 09_03_13-Siemens NX - Sheet Metal.jpg

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thank you. It is a bit strange the need of convert to metal sheet, I think normal cutout should work for standard solids too, but it is also a valid method.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Internally, normal cutout operates by flatten, cut, and refold. It needs the sheet metal intelligence to do that.