Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with materials in a part file

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I finally have the material attribute working here, but now the issue of a part file having multiple local materials, and the wrong one being the primary, has arisen.

As many of you know, if you create a wave link, the material of the parent body of the wave link, will become a local material in the file the link was created.  If you create a few wave linked bodies for reference, and then create the actual part geometry, and forget to explicitly assign it a material, the part file will make one of the wave related materials the primary.  Then, we end up with the wrong material populating the drawing file, and boom, we have a part made of the wrong material.  This would be bad Smiley Happy   

Anotehr issue, is when you have multiple local materials, you will get prompted to select one during part load, and if its an assembly, with a lot of parts, the user may not know what part it is refering to, and click ok, inadvertantly changing something they shouldn't.  In the past, I have seen parts get made with the wrong material due to this.

Also running Part Cleanup, with the "Delete All Materials" toggled on, does not delete materials, at least in my testing.  I will contact GTAC on this one.

So, how do other companies deal with making sure there is only 1 material, within the NX part file?  I know there are attributes for MaterialMultipleAssigned, MaterialMissingAssignments, and MaterialPreferred.  Is there any way to use those to help the situation?  Of simply create a limit of one local material per NX model?

I'm sure large companies have a checking system, but this industry does not have that luxury, time and manpower is crucial with very short timelines.  Automating, and making things 'idiot proof' (for lack of a better term) are crucial.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10
6 REPLIES

Re: Dealing with materials in a part file

Phenom
Phenom
@DaveK,

I've just had to force myself to make the Local Material check part of my routine and manually delete any unused materials. For us, the only time a local material should be applied to a model is when the Material Library (non-local) doesn't contain the necessary material, which isn't often.
-Tim

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

"Also running Part Cleanup, with the "Delete All Materials" toggled on, does not delete materials, at least in my testing.  I will contact GTAC on this one."

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the part cleanup "delete materials" option refers to materials and textures used for the advanced visualization commands (visualization materials, not physical materials). The documentation is a bit unclear on this point.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/12/nx_help/#uid:xid1128416:index_working_with_files:...

Gears Phenom

@cowski1  I believe you are correct, and I will address that with GTAC as well, since "Delete all materials" is a bit misleading.  I'm 110% sure when I explain that to users, they will not understand why Siemens did it that way Smiley Happy

-Dave

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Dave -

In theory, you could wite some API code and call it as a "post" action using Menuscript (e.g. at WAVE link dialog).

Or write something that you could run at an assembly level to report all components material(s) (and if plural, which one is the "main")

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom

Having the "Delete all materials" option, actually delete all materials, or reword the option, is now an ER 9107374.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@DaveK,

For the checking part of this problem, you could create a simple visual report to let you know which parts have multiple materials assigned and then group them by the actual material assigned. You can then get a good idea of which parts will cause you trouble.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Abe