Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Defined Margins in Ordinate Dimensions

When creating ordinate dimensions, I am getting the message to set defined margins. No matter where I select for these margins it never works. I have watched about a dozen videos on Youtube and everyone seems to be able to skip this step and never gets the message. I want Baseline and Perpendicular dimensions. It wants a margin for each, but the dialog seems to only ask for one margin. I am not even sure what these margins even are really.

Thanks

Defined_Margins.png

7 REPLIES

Re: Defined Margins in Ordinate Dimensions

When you define margins, the Dimension texts will lineup to those margins.

If Type=Multiple Dimension, Then you HAVE to define Margins. This will enable you to window select objects to be dimensioned and the Dimension text will lineup to the nearest margin.

If Type=Single Dim, then you DON’T have to define Margins. Instead, you could make use of use “Place Automatically” option under Origin. Dimension text will continue to line up to the first manual placement.

To Define Margins: With Type=Multiple Dim, with the same Baseline settings you have shown, under “Margins” click the Icon Box (at right side). Make sure that you have Enable the Snap Points as required by Define Margins window’s selections.

After defining Margins, you could select objects to be dimensioned.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author TechniCsNC
4 weeks ago

Hello,

I understand your frustration.  I stumbled along and did come up with a solution.  It's very possible that someone else will see this and have improvements, so other comments or corrections would be very appreciated.  My apologies if this appears to basic or step by step in some places - just trying to show steps I went thru.  Please reference attached "NX_SetMargins" pdf for steps and screenshots of steps taken.

1. Selected the Ordinate Dimension command, Hit the "Select Origin" and choose point of origin in drawing.
  2. Select “Define Margin” icon:
  3. Change “Method” to existing line, change Settings to desired amount and select existing line.  Hit OK.
  4. If needed, repeat process for other side of part:
  5. Switch Baseline vector to “Active Perpendicular”
  6. Select Define Margin, change Method to Existing line and select line. Hit OK.
  7. If needed, repeat process for other side of part:
  8. Margins Set

I think you could reduce many steps!

1. Ordinate Dim.>Baseline>Activate Baseline & Activate Perpendicular (both "ON")
  2. Select Define Margines>Margines>Method=Perpendicular to Baseline
  3. Pick a corner of the view
  4. Repeat # 2
  5. Pick the extreme corner of the view.

Note: If a corner is not pointed, have a chamfer or fillet, use Snap Point= Two-Curve Intersection to select intersection of adjacent lines.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 10.0.3.5 + PDW

I'll definitely have to check that out!  Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Thank you for the detailed response. I almost always have to place dimensions manually, as long as I am able to get them to show up I am happy. I also manually place the 1st where I want it by holding the "alt" key. The other dimensions will then snap to the 1st manually set one.

Thanks. The dialog is not very good at showing you what to do next in this command. It is one of those commands you just get used to if you use it a lot. Similar to how some dialogs only have a "cancel" and no "ok." It can be confusing. Ever import a part, and hit ok thinking your exiting a command only to realize you just imported 2 parts???

You're welcome.  Glad to help.  I do understand the frustration with the OK or cancel.  I don't think I've imported 2 parts, but it has been unclear at times which one is correct - OK or cancel.