Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deformable Patern

New to NX, is it possible to change a threaded hole and number of instances in a pattern of that hole using deformable part?

I can get the size of the body to change but when I add a hole and a pattern of that hole and try to change that in the assembly using Deform it fails “Unable to deform as one or more member features have failed during update”.

Thanks

using NX9

17 REPLIES

Re: Deformable Patern

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Could you provide at least a picture of what your part looks like and please indicate what parts of it are you trying to 'deform'?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Capture.PNG

An image, Yes that might help. I'd like to change the number of threaded holes their size and the PCD using deform, the construction method is, I added a threaded hole and then patterned it.

Siemens Phenom

Why are you trying to use 'Deformable Part' for something like this?  It appears to be something that would normally be done using Part Families.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

because thats the way we do it in Solid Edge, all I want to know is if it can be done?

Siemens Phenom

Just because you can do it in Solid Edge is not good enough a reason unless you can provide an actual functional reason for wanting to take this approach when at first glance it would appear to be something that would normally be done using a Part Family.  Again, WHY are you wishing to do this with a 'Deformable Part'?  Does this part change shape from when it's not assembled versus after it's been added to an Assembly?  Or are you just trying to model a part that can come in several different versions, each with a different number of holes, the size of which also might change from one version to another?  These are there types of questions that need to be answered before a recommendation could be made as to what approach would be appropriate.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

This part is used in many shapes and sizes and in many different assemblies, I know why I want to use it this way, all I want to know IS if NX is able to do it?

Siemens Phenom

What you're describing is a Part Family, which is designed to do exactly what you describe..  To use a Deformable Part would be a misuse of the software.  Deformable Parts are just what they sound like, a part that must change its shape when added to an Assembly, such as having to compress a spring or deform a gasket, that sort of thing.  But if you're simply wanting to have the option of choosing from several different sizes or included features on a part that will be added to an Assembly, than that's what a Family Table provides you.  To ask me to help you try and do that using a Deformable Part would be a waste of time for BOTH of us!!!

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If the size and number of holes changes, wouldn't you want/need multiple part numbers to track which version is used in the assembly?

I agree with John, it sounds like a job for a part family. A part family can account for multiple variations of a part. Part families will allow you to specify which version is used in an assembly and easily change it to a different variation if/when needed. Deform is used when a given part changes shape when it is assembled (e.g. o-ring, spring, hose, etc).

This is not a controlled part and has no part numbers it’s an ambient part or dummy part that our product attaches to. The shaft in the middle can range from 75mm to over 1000mm and we also do imperial sizes as well. Are you saying we need to model every conceivable size in a family of parts for this.