Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deformable Patern

Phenom
Phenom

Stephen-

Let's take a step back and look at what you are trying to do here as a workflow. Then we can provide you with possible solutions to your problem.

I'll restate what I've read:

You are using a "phantom" file as connection point for your product. Since this is a customer connection you need to be able to adjust the customer connection points.

There are several options that I think you can look at inside of NX.

1. Use the Part Family template. This is a spreadsheet driven file that controls its children files. You can populate the spreadsheet on the fly and build the child component or

You can prepolulate the spreadsheet and NX will build the child files as they are needed or

You could tell NX to build them all.

2. This might work as a User Defined Feature as well

3. Maybe even the Reuse Library

4. Product Template Studio

5. Just a simple parameteric model that can be changed on the fly- possible using file properties. I think John B. has a YouTube video on that option. John?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Unless there's an infinite number of sizes, a Part Family would still be the preferred approach, just that the Component in the assembly would be there for 'reference only', which is not a problem.

That being said, you could always create a fully parametric version of this model and use that part file as your Assembly file, simply editing the expressions until you have your desired "ambient or dummy part" and then add and constrain the rest of your Components to it as if it were a Component itself.  Just do a 'Save-As' when finished and you're good to go.  Note that it's perfectly valid, when working in NX, to have both parametric models and Components in the same part file.  And you can constrain Components to a solid body just like it was a Component in an Assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

yes iI want this part as parametric, how do I then make it parametric? is there another option for this?

Siemens Phenom

If you're talking about taking a 'dumb' solid provided to you by you customer via IGES or STEP or whatever, it's possible to make it parametrically editable by using Synchronous Modeling techniques.  However, for things like the number, size and locations of holes, you might be better off, removing the original model faces and adding newly created, fully parametric hole and pattern features to your dumb model.  With a little work, it's possible to get a fairly usable 'paramertic' model made from a 'dumb' solid model.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

John, thanks for youre input, do you know if you can use the DEFORM function on a hole? yes or no. That was question? if yes how? if you feel your wasting you time tell me then fine, dont. by the do you work for siemans?

Siemens Phenom

"What we have here is a failure to communicate".  I'm beginning to suspect that what you're calling 'Defomable Part' is what we would use Synchronous Modeling to accomplish in NX.  Could you perhaps upload one of these 'dumb models' that you're having to work with along with a description of what aspects of it that needs to be updatable?

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Can I ask that we all take a step back and look at what we are trying to achieve here. It seems like there are lots of cross communications and various system terms (NX and SE terms) being used which isn't helping. So, let's clarify what we have: You have a shape (like a top hat) that has an array of holes around the flange. I am reading that you don't want it to deform, as in squash or bend, but have variants like the number of holes, is that a correct understanding? Note, if you want it to be like a rubber bush then deformable parts is the right option, but it wouldn't normally change the number of holes (deformable parts are things like tubes) Then the question is how is the first model created? 1 In NX using a sketch, hole & pattern (or some other type of NX construction) 2 Imported in? If it's the former then it's parametric, there are expressions, if its the latter it's a dumb body and you have some more steps to do. If it is an NX part, and you only want to change things like size, number of holes, size of holes then we recommend you either create a part family of that part (which is really a list of entries in a spreadsheet) which control the parameters on your model. When you add the instance to an assembly you can specify what the sizes are. Or if you want to get really fancy use PTS to put a wrapper around it. Now, if it's imported in one approach you can take is to use Synchronous to add key dimensions and then go through the Part Family step. If you can guide us to some of the background of the geometry then I know John and everybody else will get you moving on the right solution. Please let us help you get this all sorted out by giving just a bit more background. Thanks Paul Brown

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Oh and that had much better formatting when I typed it!