Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Automation NX

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all,

i am interested in learning NX cad automation. i would like work more on this. Could someone help me how can i get know more about it, or any taraining session are there, i can understand automation. 

Thanks in adavance.

9 REPLIES

Re: Design Automation NX

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Ganesh,

You have posted this question already in the forum.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Forum/Design-automation/m-p/398883#U398883

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/nx/for-design/productivity-tools/customization...

This link highlights the options available that you could use to automate things. Is there any specific area you looking for automation CAD/CAM/CAE?

The best and basic step is to start with "SNAP". I recommend you to go through it at least once so that you will have better idea.You can move to NX Open later depending upon your choice and programming knowledge. 

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_api/#uid:index_snap_ref_guide

Creator
Creator

To what extent design can be automated? Is the automation mentioned here means, creating scripts, buttons for the repetitive operations, and saving time, or can a full design be automated without touching NX?

Can we have something that creates the item in Teamcenter, then creates the full dataset, then creates the drawing ( intelligent to pick right view types, dimensions ) , saves it, starts workflow in Teamcenter and freeze the design.

Is this something utopic? Smiley Happy

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you can write rules about how the design should be made, you can automate it.  Between NX API and TC (ITK/SOA/whatever) and KF (Knowledge Fusion) and other things...

You might also want to investigate Product Template Studio, Part families, etc.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom

To automate the entire process like you describe you may want to look into Rulestream also.

Rulestream Information

Scott

Creator
Creator

Even with the use of any of the mentioned tools above, i can not imagine how a drawing creation can be automated, unless it is a save as operation from an existing drawing with the update of associative parameters.

Is it possible to create a drawing of a new design, with the required views, sections, GD&T, notes, title block etc. in an automated way. It sounds to me as beyond imagination. 

Siemens Phenom

With Rulestream this is very possible. The primary focus of Rulestream is turn customer requirements in models and drawings that used across the enterprise. It is a very powerful tool for this kind of work. If you are interested in it, I would recommend that you contact your sales rep to get an idea about what it can do for your use case. 

Scott

Creator
Creator

Thank you.

Is there an example video of such process? I am mainly interested in the drawing creation part. 

Siemens Phenom

Here are some good customer videos.

Rulestream 1

Rulestream 2

Rulestream 3

For the most part these show more of a general arrangement drawing, but be assured it is controlling what views to place, with which dimensions and notes and anything else needed for a drawing. 

We do have other customers that generate complete drawing packages using Rulestream, but some of them believe that this is there competitive advantage and will not take publicly about it. 

Scott

Genius
Genius

Is SNAP available for NX CAE applications (e.g. Advanced Simulation (now SimCenter)) or is it just available for NX CAD applications (e.g. Modeling)?