Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Design: Show/Hide functionality

Creator
Creator

Hello

I have some feature groups(A,B,C) with many features in it.

Each feature group has construction elements(points, lines & surfs) and output elements (lines, points & surf).

While i am working with FG-A, i hide some construction elements and complete the desired output.

Then i move on to next feature group FG-B and do similarly. As the FG-A hinders my view, i have hidden it by selecting the feature group folder.

When i enable show for FG-A, all features inside it are shown.

Is there any option to keep the items(construction) hidden ?

Is there any option to show only the items inside one feature group instantly?

*layer option hides or shows the items in all feature groups.

*I have tried part module option but its bit tiring. Drag & drop not available?

*hide by groups or reference sets are not that helpful too.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Design: Show/Hide functionality

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Santa ,

I only find Groups and Feature Groups to be able to do what you want. You'll need to organize features and objects as needed. Please find below video for the same.

(view in My Videos)

Regards,
Samadhan

GTAC | NX Help: NX1102 | NX1202 | NX1847
Please mark post as an "Accepted Solution", if it answers your question/is more helpful!

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the update.

I have tried groups, its tedious. Even i tried groups in combination with layers for all construction items.

Because i needed visible const line and hidden construction. 

30 mins of my study had produced about 130 items. Further i keep updating my study. 

see attachment,

Hidden items are construction lines. Others are outputs. If i move my outputs to other FG then it will be difficult to track back. Otherwise the related feature is just above. I mean no need to see dependency.

Further my output lines keeps on evolving.

It would be helpful if the hidden item remains hidden when i enable show FG.  I want the hidden lines visible only when i enable it individually.

I find that i am spending more time on arranging the data than actual study. But still when bring the part to my assy, again i have hide/unhide issues.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Santa 

You can try categories. That may help.

Each category can contain one or more layers and they can have names and descriptions.

Regards

Creator
Creator

hi @robot139 

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have tried catogoeries in the following way,

110~Input

120~Invisible reference

130~Visible refrence

But arranging take more time than studying. If hidden items remains hidden inside FG unless i enable it individually,

it will save a lot of time. And linked features move along into layers making some ref & input in same layer. I managed to keep it separate for some features like trim but cant help with sew etc.

Even after arranging, when i show 120 layer, all feature irrespective of FG are shown.

Phenom
Phenom

@Santa 

@Santa wrote:

But arranging take more time than studying. If hidden items remains hidden inside FG unless i enable it individually, it will save a lot of time. 

Hidden item can not remain hidden when you show FG from model history. If you want hidden item to remain hidden you should use categories and layers instead of show and hide from model history.

@Santa wrote:

And linked features move along into layers making some ref & input in same layer. I managed to keep it separate for some features like trim but cant help with sew etc.

Parent features like datums, curves, sketches,... don't go with it to the same layer when you use Move to Layer. But if you mean something like an edge blend on the edge of a cylinder, yes they go to the same layer automatically.

@Santa wrote:

Even after arranging, when i show 120 layer, all feature irrespective of FG are shown.

And about this I am sure that those irrespective things have been in layer 120. Be careful that there are some predefined categories in the modeling templates with some layers included in each of them.

Regards

Creator
Creator

I know hidden items dont remain hidden in NX. Thats the problem i am trying to highlight.

If hidden items remains hidden, no need to use layers with categoeries/ groups/ ref set etc.

A lot of time in arranging CAD can be saved. 

Yes, all parents dont move automatically into layer.

@robot139 wrote:

And about this I am sure that those irrespective things have been in layer 120. Be careful that there are some predefined categories in the modeling templates with some layers included in each of them.

I mean i have 10 different FG with many const items in it. You suggest me to move the const items in each FG to separate layer and update it everytime? If i move all const items to same layer then it will be a mess when i enable show.

I am not sure you got my point. 

Advanced functions like groups/layers/ ref sets are not needed when i have versatile basic hide/unhide function

Creator
Creator

@robot139 wrote:

If you want hidden item to remain hidden you should use categories and layers instead of show and hide from model history.

If i have 10 FG then i need to create 10 differetiatable layers/categories?

Because each FG has its own construction items. Why dont merge that fucntion with FG itself? 

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Santa 

If i have 10 FG then i need to create 10 differetiatable layers/categories?

Because each FG has its own construction items. Why dont merge that fucntion with FG itself? 

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

This is what the software can do now. If you are proposing some enhancement for future, it is something else.

Regards

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
In NX , objects are either shown or hidden, depending if the layer is visible/selectable.
The option to make a group permanently hidden until you make the same group visible does not exist.
( features and components can be suppressed but that is something different.)

If layer 6 is Selectable and it contains 394 objects from FGA FGB and FGC, the group can aid in selecting "n" of these 394 to hide/show but if you would go "Show all" , all 394 will be visible. - the group has no influence on this.

It seems you want the groups to contain 2 sub categories :features and everything else.
You can create "regular groups" to use as selection aid for hide/show but the original problem is still there, there are too much data on the selectable layers.

Move the feature data for FG A to a layer X
and move the construction data for FG A to X+1,
then when you press" show" NX will make that/those layers Selectable or "shown" if the layer is already Visible/Selectable.
( When you press "Hide" it will ONLY be hidden, the layer still Selectable.)
You can add category names to these layers for clarity.

Select the objects and "Ctrl+J", type in a layer number + OK.

Regards,
Tomas