Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Customer Default and Preferences

Creator
Creator

I'd like to know what is the difference between Customer Default and Preferences? There are identical settings e.g. journal language that you can set in both of these settings. Why there are two places for identical settings?

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES

Re: Difference between Customer Default and Preferences

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Customer Defaults are just what it implies, defaults that can be preset by the user.  Note however that there are TWO types of defaults, ones that are called 'Part Specific' and the other is 'Session Specific'.  Part Specific will only be effective when creating a NEW part from scratch (this does NOT apply to when using a 'template' part, either one that came with the system or was set-up by the user). Session Specific will effect all sessions started after a change has been made.

As for Preferences, many, but not all, preferences are items that are preset using Customer Defaults, but which can be changed later, during an NX session.  But note that some of them are also Part and some Session specific.

I hope that helps.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi,

Customer defaults are settings that retains even after closing NX.

Preferences are settings that you can set during a session in NX and will be back to  normal ( customer default setting) after you close your NX.

For an instance that you have a company standard (example is Font size which is set in the customer defaults) in the settings of your NX, but you need to change it just one time for a very special reason, you can change it in the preferences (which will revert back to default after closing NX).

Regards,

Sen

Siemens Phenom

@Jahnsen wrote:

Preferences are settings that you can set during a session in NX and will be back to  normal ( customer default setting) after you close your NX.

That's not completely accurate.  While there are some cases where this is true, many Preference settings are saved in the Windows registry and therefore will be remembered the next time you start a session of NX.  Also NX is starting to save more settings in the 'user.mtx' file which is also what is used when you save a Role.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I have a question for all of you:
What happens to my data, if all users have the ability to have different Customer Defaults?
For example I have Config A and I create a new part, save it and so forth. Colleague B opens this part his NX with Config B, makes a change and saves it. When I open the file with my Config A, what happens to the data? Will everything be flipped back to Config A when I open it?
Could this cause problems within a design team? Is it a best practice to lock certain defaults?
I would love a further explanation of this behavior.
Cheers

Siemens Phenom

The short answer is a part of the CAD administration you should lock the customer defaults that you, as an organization do not want people to change. Everyone at a location should be using the same set of customer defaults and each person should not have their own. Customer defaults can be set up for the Site, Group or User and locked at the appropriate levels.  A good starting place to look it here.

Customer Defaults

i am a bit short of time this week to write a big response to this question, but will be checking back on it, in addition I know there are others here who have great ideas also. 

One thing I will say now, some people when they start down this path just want to lock ALL the customer defaults so no one change anything, that is not a idea either. 

Scott

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
In our particular case we lock all but a few of the defaults, because we don't know if all these thousands of settings have an effect on different types of errors. In support, we have to have a consistent setup, otherwise we will probably not find the mistake, because our online support has different Customer Defaults than the user.
I understand that you have different levels, but will I have a data problem if all, let's say 100 users, have unique Customer Defaults?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note also there are 2 types of customer defaults:

- Session (e.g. default size of bloock feature)

- Part (e.g. almost all drafting settings)

Sessions defaults are used all the time (note dialog memory will effect session defaults).  Say you've never used NX.  You start NX, open a new part, create a block feature, the default size will be 4x4x4.  So you change th dialog to 1x2x3 and create the block.  In the same NX session, you go to create another block (same or different part).  When the dialog opens, the default size is 1x2x3.

Now close NX.

Open a new NX session, open a part, create a block feature.  the defaul size will be:

- 4x4x4 if you have dialog memory turned off

- 1x2x3 if you have dialog memory turned on

Part defaults are ONLY used when creating a part FROM SCRATCH (i.e. you select a "BLANK" template).  If you create a part from a template part, the template part settings OVER-RIDE the customer default settings.

If you export the customer defaults to Excel, the listing will show, for each default, whether it is Session or Part.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

@JohnRBakerwrote:

@Jahnsen wrote:

That's not completely accurate.  While there are some cases where this is true, many Preference settings are saved in the Windows registry and therefore will be remembered the next time you start a session of NX. Also NX is starting to save more settings in the 'user.mtx' file which is also what is used when you save a Role.

Q1: @Jahnsen's observation is that the life time of Preferences settings is only one session. "While there are some cases where this is true" ---- Does this mean: the life time of Preferences is one session in some cases, and more than one session in other cases?

Q2: "many Preference settings are saved in the Windows registry" ---- Does this mean: Some Preference settings are saved in the Windows registry and some other Preferences settings are saved in the part file?

Thanks!