Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dimension parallel to an angled edge

Phenom
Phenom

In Drafting, how could I add a dimension between two points parallel to an angled edge? (i.e. the dimension line should be parallel to the angled edge)

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Dimension parallel to an angled edge

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Are you saying that the two points are not aligned with (either 'on' or parallel to) the "angled edge"?  Because if they are, use the 'Point-to-Point' method.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

First, use the Linear Dimension command.  Then, in the Measurement group, set the Method to Point-to-Point.  When you do this, a Use Measurement Direction option becomes available.  When you set this option, you can then click the Specifiy Vector button to specify the direction of measurement (which in this case would be your angled edge).

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks for the solution. I spent a lot of time to activating the views and drawing lines thru the points, perpendicular to the edge to show the dimensions.

Rapid Dimensions have most of the options/methods in the Dimension dropdown box. I hope in the next releases NX will centralize the cluttered options/methods and clean and delete the duplicates to avoid this kind of situations.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW