Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doing Edge Blend on Convergent Bodies

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi,

I imported a STL with two Bodies and try to do an Edge-Blend or Face-Blend but cannot do this. The edge and faces are not selectable. Does someone know if this is possible and, if yes, what I need to do?

Thanks,

Martin

6 REPLIES

Re: Doing Edge Blend on Convergent Bodies

Phenom
Phenom
@MartinH

The reason you cannot select faces or edges is because STL bodies are faceted bodies and do not have actual faces or edges - so you're using the wrong types of modeling tools.

I'm sure someone else with more experience/knowledge about faceted/Convergent modeling might chime in, but in the meantime I'd suggest reading the Help Docs for what you can and cannot do with faceted and Convergent models in NX.
-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

In NX 12 you can use the command called Create Transition to add "edge" treatments to a Convergent body. As state above there are no real edges on the part it is only facets. 

Scott

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Scott,

So that means in NX 11 one cannot blend the sharp edges of a convergent/facet body since this Create Transition command is only available in NX 12?

Jericho

Phenom
Phenom
@jerichotjia,

If you do not have the command Transition available in NX11, then it must be a new command for NX12. This happens from time to time when new capabilities are added to NX - not everything can be added at once all of the time.

Convergent modeling is new to NX and it's not the same thing as modeling a traditional model. Convergent models are still faceted and are approximations of the original traditional model. While you may be able to use some traditional modeling commands to apply features to a convergent model, there are some commands that will never work exactly like many users will more than likely assume. Faceted modeling will always be a bit different than traditional modeling - no true edges; the ones that are there won't be tangent so blending will be next to impossible anyway (think of trying to blend around a Hole edge) and faces are nothing more than approximated planar faces.
-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes that is correct, the add transition command for convergent bodies was added in NX 12. 

Also check out this video around the 7:00 mark.

NX 12 Create Transition

Or this one around the 3:00 mark. This one has some great commands to work with Convergent Bodies.

Convergent Modeling in NX 12

Scott

Experimenter
Experimenter

@TimF & @ScottFelber

Ah okay, thank you for your fast replies & references!