Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting / Change Displayed Parts

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone,

I have a project at my university. I am done with the 3D modeling and I am on to the drafting.

When I create my Base Views everything is displayed, coordinate systems, hidden edges, everything. I don't know where I can change this.

Can you help?

4 REPLIES

Re: Drafting / Change Displayed Parts

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Are you putting the drawing in the same file that contains the model? Or are you using the "master model" method and placing the drawing in a separate part and then adding a reference set from the model?

Here is a Help topic that explains the difference between the two methods for creating a drawing:

Creating a new drawing

Once you finish reading the topic, look at the list of links on the right side of the page. Those links will take you to examples that show you how to create drawings using the different approaches. We recommend that you place the drawing in a separate file, that way only the "Model" reference set is used to create the drawing, and all the other extraneous objects do not appear in your drawing view.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Have you looked in the "View" tab for the "Show and Hide" button. You can select what types of objects are shown there. But your selections apply to Drafting and Modeling environments.

Phenom
Phenom

@Canderous 

Both answers are correct, but kind of like the story of the description of the elephant.

The easiest way to control what is displayed in the drawing is the Show and Hide command, and for me, the easiest way to get to it is on the right end of the Top Border Bar. You can turn off objects by category, such as datums, sketches, etc.

That being said, if you have your drawing in the same file as the part model, turning things off in Drafting also Turns them off in Modeling.  I personally like to keep the first datum coordinate system visible in Modeling, because that is a statement of design intent of the origin of the part. 

The way to create the drawing in its own separate file is to use the New command to create a drawing file, and select your model file as the "Part to create a drawing of."

If you just change applications from Modeling to Drafting, you are creating the drawing in the same file as the model.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You can also use layers for different items (sketches, solids, datums, etc) and then turn off those layers in a drafting view.