Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting attributes don't copy over when inserting part into drawing?

Creator
Creator

Hi there,

I have a bunch of "empty" parts that I use as drawing templates, with a bunch of attributes defining certain text values in my title block such as name, date, drawing number, etc... When I made a new drawing for a part, I create a new sheet in my part file, insert the drawing template part, and proceed to make the drawing with the imported title block.

For some reason, the attributes that I have in my drafting templates don't get inserted into the part. The only way I can get them to update is to create a new attribute with the same name, then go into the text box in the title block and make a change to the reference. For example, if the reference in the block is <WRef1*0@DATE>, deleting a character automatically updates the reference and puts the correct text.

Is there some setting that I am missing while inserting the drawing template? Unfortunately the method of importing drawing templates is out of my hands, so I'm really hoping there is a method of keeping the attributes when inserting to my part.

1 REPLY

Re: Drafting attributes don't copy over when inserting part into drawing?

Creator
Creator

I ended up finding a slight workaround that achieves the attribute transfer, see here. Basically, attributes can be saved in the same way that drawing templates are, except in an xml file. By creating a template with all your necessary attributes, any part that you make will include those attributes by default. Then, when a drawing template is inserted as a part that has references to those attributes, they link automatically.