Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting / base view file relationship

Experimenter
Experimenter

when creating a base view, the very top of the operator reads "Part". just below is "Select Part" . this appears to create a relationship to a file from which the math data it contains will always be displayed in the view and childern views.

Is ther a way to switch that file to a different file after views are created?

6 REPLIES

Re: Drafting / base view file relationship

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

@Spike1 wrote:

when creating a base view, the very top of the operator reads "Part". just below is "Select Part" . this appears to create a relationship to a file from which the math data it contains will always be displayed in the view and childern views.

Is ther a way to switch that file to a different file after views are created?

What you're referring to is a "View of Part".  It's not possible to reparent the view to a different part once the view has been placed.

Regards, Ben

Phenom
Phenom

@BenBroad,

Are you (or anyone else) aware of any internal discussions to allow for reparenting drawings without having to go through the process of logging ERs?

I ask only because this seems to be one of the more frequently asked questions as of late and it seems to me there is an obvious need for this capability. People get way too far along before they've realized they've made a mistake that cannot be easily corrected.

Thanks!

-Tim

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

@BenBroad,

Are you (or anyone else) aware of any internal discussions to allow for reparenting drawings without having to go through the process of logging ERs?

I'm not - but I have reached out.  Obviously logging ERs is the recommended procedure as they go to the Product Manager responsible for the application that the ER is logged against.  Asking to be added to an ER increases the "me too" count, which makes those issues more visible.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks Ben.

Thats good and bad new.

Bad news, because we really want to be able to do it.

Good news, because we did not waiste our time, the other times we had to rebuild drawings. LOL

Experimenter
Experimenter
No. i am not aware any internal discussions.

Phenom
Phenom

@Spike1,

Sorry, I was asking Ben - hence why I prefaced the message with his username. Smiley Surprised

@BenBroad ,

Thanks for your input and reply.

-Tim