Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting mode - view alignment

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, is there a way to ensure that aligned and projected views always stay in line with each other?  I tried to move some views over and they became mis-aligned with their parent or child views.  Thanks

6 REPLIES

Re: Drafting mode - view alignment

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Right click on the projected view and choose "view alignment"; from here you can associate the view position to the parent view (or break associativities as needed).

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Great!  Thanks for the help.  I looked around in the drafting preferences, but couldn't find anything.  Sounds like an easy fix.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower,

View alignment preference can be found by

Menu > Preferences > Drafting.

View >> Workflow >> Alignment

123.PNG

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I just checked my drafting preferences and noticed that I already have the alignement "Associative" checked, so it is turned on.  I had hoped, that if this was selected, it would be impossible or at least prompt me before I moved a view out of alignment with another view.  Is it possible that I still have a setting wrong?  It's quite disturbing that I can accidently move a view out of alignment with another view and I'm not even notified.  If I tried to move a view in another CAD software I used, the parent view would also move with it (stay aligned) or I just wouldn't be able to move the view I was trying to move.  (If it couldn't move and stay aligned with the parent view, it would just not let me).  

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I just tried Cowski1's response from last week and it worked: 

Right click on the projected view and choose "view alignment"; from here you can associate the view position to the parent view (or break associativities as needed).

Is there a way to make this work by default or does this have to be manually done every time?  I ready have the drafting preferences set for the views to be aligned, but views can still be dragged out of alignment.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower,

Assuming alignment 'Associative' option is checked under drafting preferences.

After placing the base view, does 'Projected View' dialog has option 'Associative Alignment' checked? If not, then just reset the dialog. You will see that option is checked and projected views will be continued to be aligned with base view associatively.

alignment.PNG