Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting sketch to modeling

Creator
Creator

I have a sketch in drafting that I need to use to create an extrude in modeling. Can someone tell me the best way to get my drafting sketch in modeling? 

16 REPLIES

Re: Drafting sketch to modeling

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

What NX version are you using?  You can utilize NX 2d Layout (there are some good videos on the same in our Knowledge base)

Regards

Kapil

Siemens Phenom

You can also right click the view (where the sketch is) and use COPY TO 3D option to copy the sketch curves to modeling.

Regards

Kapil

Creator
Creator

Version 10.0.3.5

Creator
Creator

I'm not seeing that option...

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Dan_Ruth,

If you often need sketch profile, you can define it as reusable object which then become the part of 'Reuse Library'. Once it is there you can reuse it in modeling as well as drafting application. I have explained the process using NX 9, so it should be the same in NX 10.

In drafting, create a sketch. 

sketch1.PNG

Switch to 'Reuse Library' navigator > Select '2D Section Library' > RMB > Define Reusable Object. 

sketch2.PNG

Select the sketch, give some meaningful name > OK. 

sketch3.PNG

In Modeling application from Reuse Library navigator select the profile, drag and drop on the desired plane to paste the sketch profile. 

sketch4.PNG

In Drafting application from Reuse Library navigator select the profile, drag and drop in drawing sheet area to paste the sketch profile at desired location.

sketch5.PNG

Also attached video of the same process.

Creator
Creator

This looks like it would work perfectly for what I want to do but forwhatever reason, Define Reusable Object is grayed out. Not sure whats going one here... Would it have anything to do with being in a managed environment? 

Siemens Phenom

Here is a small video for copy to 3d

Regards

Kapil

(view in My Videos)

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

One for reusable sketch (as Ganesh explained)...

(view in My Videos)

Creator
Creator

Ok, that's it. When I am using NX while be managed by TeamCenter the Define Reusable Object is grayed out. When I am not connected to TC, Define Reusable Object is available.