Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drafting

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When is Siemens going to fix  the settings default in Drafting?

This should be a priority to bring back the save session settings so

when NX is closed and you reopen the last settings you used are retained in drafting

like in Modeling and Manufacturing.

EDS UG V3 -UG V15 UNIX; UGS UG V6 -UG V19 - NX-NX5 UNIX/MS; Siemens NX6-NX11 MS
12 REPLIES

Re: Drafting

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Most of the drafting settings are "part specific". This means that the settings are saved in the part. When you open that part, the settings saved within it should be applied to new drafting objects that you create.

What type of issues are you having, exactly?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Up until the new MS WINDOWS 7 INTERPRISE UPGRADE NX Drafting Session Functions operated like the Manufacturing and Modeling where you can save your Session Function Settings and they are retained from part to part or session to session. One example of this is in NX Manufacturing, the loss of HOT KEY Cycle Functions when selecting geometry due to the Windows 7 installation.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I will borrow this topic, since is Drafting related.

I see small “issues” in Drafting that bothers me. (comparing to NX 8)

When “auto dimensioning” .. and you select e.g. first object and then hit “escape” (cancel this dimension/selection) it also cancel the whole command and you have to go and select “dimensioning” again. Instead of just cancelling selection step… This how it works in e.g. NX 8. Therefore now you have to click more. Is there a setting to control this?

Also … there is zoom issue at this point. If you select “dimension command” and then ... e.g. zoom in .. and cancel the dimensioning command. It throws you back to previous zoom/pan position as started.. I also find this irritating.. (not the same as in NX 8, which I prefer more) Is there also the setting to control this?

Best

Opl.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This became an issue during the era that NX was purchased by Siemens.

There was a major upgrade to NX driven by auto industry (Nissan?)

While Micro Soft was coming out with MS Windows 7 OS.

Files were xxxx in the process due to all these three factors converging at the same time.

I believe Siemens is just now getting a grip on these facts with the new NX10 and NX11

With the new UI and bringing back hot keys and UI Customization.

The area’s I would like to see fixed is the drafting DPV and the module advance keypad selection settings.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When dimensioning, it is recommended that you select the reset button at the top of the dialog box reset.gif if you want to cancel the current selection. This resets the entire dialog box to initial conditions and clears existing selections and settings from the dialog memory. The dialog box remains open and ready for your next selection.

Regarding the zoom behavior, please consider filing an ER to request the behavior you wish to see.

For additional tips and tricks for creating and placing dimensions, please review this information in the Drafting Help collection:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.3/nx_help/#uid:index_drafting:id701707:xid10577...

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Remember that you can also use 'Shift-Select' to deselect objects.  This way you do not need to Cancel and start over.  And BTW, hitting 'Esc' is the standard Windows way of exiting an existing task, in the case of NX, that would to leave the dialog.  In older versions of NX the Drafting tools didn't really use what you would call classic 'dialogs' but rather something that was more akin to 'dynamic toolbar' and thus the change in behavior.  If you were doing some modeling in that older version of NX and you hit 'Esc' while a modeling dialog was open it would have closed just like what is now happening with the dimensioning 'Dialogs'.  That's just the way it was designed to work.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hay

This zoom issue is really bothering me? It’s very annoying and frustrating.

Does no one else find this annoying?

(“problem” when you select the dimensioning and then you “scroll in/out/pan”-> change zoom ... and then for some reason “cancel the operation”, the view jumps to the previous when started the command.)

As for the ESC key or hitting the reset button at the top of the dialog box.

If you hit the “reset” button, then it “resets” the whole dialog bar with some settings. So I do not find this as a “solution”.

Best.

Opl.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This functionality happens in all the applications at deferent levels.

This is where OS RAM TEMP FILE REGISTRY is cleared or in your case reset.

You are using a computer and there are syntax and sequences being processed and if you do not complete the sequence do to operator occurrence and do not follow the syntax well you are probably resetting the register for that particular operation and the computer reverts back to the last temp file registry state. You are dumping the temp file registry by starting over out of sequence.

When running a machine tool with a CPU and there is an operation being executed there are registers that are populated and used by the syntax and sequence of code for proper operation. When an operation is stopped in the middle of an operation and you make changes to the program you need to reset the registry and re populate the settings to keep the registry up to date.

This is how computers function.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I think it is more of a "cancel" vs "OK/Apply" issue.

- you open up a function

- while -n the function, you putz with the display (zoom/pan/rotate/layers/etc.)

- you may (or may not) make changes in the function

- if you cancel, you are telling NX "I don't want anything I was working on saved"

This includes the display changes

- if you OK/Apply, you are telling NX "commit all these changes" (including the display ones)

I believe this is how it works most places (although I haven't specifically tested CAM, I know it is this way for the "Info" dialog).

I'm nt sure if Siemens would entertain an ER for a customer default to allow display changes to NOT be undone when cancelling a dialog.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled