Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing Updates Automation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I'm working with an assembly that might require me to make several revisions. First I would like to know if there is a way to auto update my sheet when I make a change to the model? Right Clicking the sheet and clicking update becomes overall combersome after a while.

Second, if I'm make making design changes in the assembly which intern effects all the parts, which intern effects all the drawings of the parts, is there a way that the drawings can be autosaved and exported? Once again, updating every single model and having to re-export them as either PDF's, DXF's or DWG's can be quite a burden when working on large assemblies.

Thanks

4 REPLIES

Re: Drawing Updates Automation

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Also is there a way to default the pdf export location to the directory of the prt file?

Thanks.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm working with an assembly that might require me to make several revisions. First I would like to know if there is a way to auto update my sheet when I make a change to the model? Right Clicking the sheet and clicking update becomes overall combersome after a while.

While in the drafting application, make sure 'Delay View Update' has not been checked.

Tools > Update > Delay View Update.

Depending upon your model change/update, you may need to perform some additional steps in the drafting. For example, if you suppress or delete some holes in the modeling application, then you need to delete the centerlines,centermarks from the drawing sheet manually.

Second, if I'm make making design changes in the assembly which intern effects all the parts, which intern effects all the drawings of the parts, is there a way that the drawings can be autosaved and exported? 

If I have edited some components of the assembly, but not sure if I have found the right solution? Then not having 'Autosave' will save me rather than editing the component/assembly to its previous state. : smiley happy:

(In managed NX it is possible with the help of dataset versions and baselined item revisions)

To play safe with your work/efforts, NX have option for file save reminder which was introduced from NX 4 version.

File > Customer Defaults > Gateway > General > 'Interval for Save Changes Reminder'

"NX displays a reminder to save changes. This option specifies the interval between the last time you saved and the reminder appearing, or the interval between two reminders. If this option is set to 0 minutes, the reminder is disabled."

save.PNG

Where it will give you reminder as shown the image depending upon the time interval you have set.
save1.PNG

Once again, updating every single model and having to re-export them as either PDF's, DXF's or DWG's can be quite a burden when working on large assemblies.

Following is one sample VB code from solution center that might be useful for you which export drawings to dxf.You can record and playback the journal which suits your need for the repetitive tasks.

export drawings to dxf

Also is there a way to default the pdf export location to the directory of the prt file?

Under customer defaults, you can set the default PDF export directory where all exported PDF's can be saved. File > Customer Defaults > Gateway > General > PDF Export > General tab > Output Directorypdf.PNG

Refer the journal from the following topic link, where journal exports the PDF of each drawing sheet to the selected directory with the same name as drawing sheet.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/Export-NX-Drawing...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Ganesh Kadole,

Thanks for the detailed response. I think I have everything working except the automatic saving to the part file directory. Instead of %UGII_TMP_DIR% for the PDF windows directory, could I set this to save where the part file is saved? If so, could you give me what I should enter in this directory?

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @Imperial,

If parts reside in different directories/folders, then it is not possible to save PDF to the respective directories/folders directly. What can be done is just replace '%UGII_TMP_DIR%' with OS folder path as you needed where NX will export all the PDF's irrespective of from which folder parts are opened/loaded. With the API code it may be possible that if I open some part from a directory/folder and PDF will get saved to the same directory/folder.

@cowski1 can give you better idea about it.