Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing automation

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

In order to speed up the drafting process, I was asked to implement further drafting automation. My study focussed on engineering however, so I haven't got as much experience with the whole IT-setting-up thing.

I need help with the following:

I've created a title block that has basic automatic attributes, such as sheet - scale - revision. 

I've created a parts list template that has attributes which are linked to part specific attributes. These need to be filled in in the following window:

2017-12-06 11_15_27-NX 11 - Drafting - [assembly1.prt (Modified) ].jpg

My question is:

How do I edit the model template so that I don't have to fill in the Title/Alias on each new part? For example:
My parts list has a column for drawing numbers. Linked to Title/Alias "<W$=@DWG>". Is it possible to create every new part with this Title/Alias already set? One attribute isn't a big problem but with multiple attributes I'd rather have these pre-set. So that I only have to fill in the value.

Then my second question:

My title block, for example, also has a Drawing number box that I have to fill in by hand. Is it possible to link the attributes from the above question to my title block aswell? Or is the title block only set to have limited attributes (name, sheet, scale)?

9 REPLIES

Re: Drawing automation

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

it's seam you don't have a PDM or PLM. I suggest you a journal that you can find on the net that create yours specified attributes in parts and in draftings to have title block compiled.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

You are correct about the PLM software. We don't use it.  I don't understand the rest of your reaction though. 

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

@MKarsten

For your first question, you can try copying the attributes and then pasting them in the new part. I tried it with default attributes, and it seems to work fine.

For the second question, you will have to edit the title box and import your drawing no attribute (as you said you define it beforehand).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with or if the information I gave was wrong.

Paras

Paras Raina
Sr. Application Engineer | Solid Edge ST10 | NX 11
MSC Systems Pvt. Ltd. (India)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you for your reaction.

I've figured out how to edit the model.prt template so that those attributes are now pre-set for new models.

I'm not sure I understand fully what you're saying about the title block attributes. I'm trying to use non-standard attributes in the title block. 

So some of the model attributes will directly fill up the title block, such as drawing number. Currently I've only managed to implement standard attributes (sheet, scale, etc.) into the title block

Solution Partner Genius

@MKarsten

Just edit the title block. You will find the import attributes option.

Capture.JPG

Paras

Paras Raina

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Check out the excellent videos posted by PhoeNX PLM, they will help you set up drawing templates. It sounds like you need these 2 right now:

https://vimeo.com/100179684

https://vimeo.com/101692825

Solution Partner Genius

@cowski1That's an informative video.

@MKarstenAs you said, you already had your drawing no. box set up in the title box, just editing that and adding the said attribute from the part file would do the thing for you.

Paras

Paras Raina

Pioneer
Pioneer

@cowski1 I will check these videos out tomorrow as I've finished work now. But thank you!

@Paras_R I'm trying - problem is if I were to use a note -> relationships -> attribute from part and then get the "<WRef1*0@DWG>" code. It'll work in that drawing, but I can't use the code for my template. If I do use it in my template, then close NX, restart..  create a new part.. fill in the part attributes and then create the drawing.. it'll give me this error:

2017-12-06 15_28_28-NX 11 - Drafting - [model7.prt (Modified) ].jpg

Sorry for me being incapable - this just isn't my field of expertise and there isn't anyone more "experienced" with NX at the place I work at. 

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If you use the master model technique (model is a component of the drawing file), you need to use attribute templates to transfer values to the drawing.