Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Drawing questions

Good day all

I would like a little help with my NX7.5 drawing settings and am experiencing the following issues.

Changes made in my "Default Customer" settings are not taking effect after program reboot. eg:

- Monochrome colour setting is deselected, however still needs to be removed when starting a new drawing.

- Annotations can only be loaded after selecting “Load Default Settings” (I am also struggling to find the settings in Default Customers settings)

• Preferences > Annotations > Dimensions > “Line Between Arrows”
  • Preferences > Annotations > Units > “Leading Zeros”
  • Preferences > Annotations > Line/Arrow > “H” & “J” distances

Templates added to the "ugs_sheet_templates" .pax file do not show up in the "Use Template" option when starting a new drawing.

- roots are all correct and template .prt & .jpg files ARE in the "templates" folder.

- I have tried making changes to the origial NX "A0-sheet-template.prt" files (such as removing monochrome, changing annotation styles & changing the border) but these changes are undone in the program when selecting the "sheet templates" in NX. All that remains is the border.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated, in a nutshell the program is not accepting any changes I make to the default settings or are reversed when starting a new drawing.

My employees are making hundreds of drawings weekly and a lot of time is wasted changing settings each time they start a new drawing.

Kind regards Smiley Happy 

9 REPLIES

Re: Drawing questions

[ Edited ]

You've made the correct assumption - that the changes should be made in the template part files.  However, if you're not seeing the changes when creating new parts from those templates, then the first thing I would suggest is checking your log file to make certain that NX is reading the "templates" directory containing the parts that you've modified.  Help > NX Log File.

Search for "pax" and make sure that the pax files and the part files list the path to the directory containing the files you've been editing.

Ben

There are drawing templates and there are sheet templates. Drawing templates show up on the "new" menu; sheet templates are used when inserting a new sheet into an existing drawing (on a multi-sheet drawing, the first sheet is often different that the following sheets).

Not a direct answer to your question, but a lot of what you've asked is something I've covered in a series of videos about drafting templates: https://vimeo.com/album/3065578

Have a look, I think most of it is relevant for you.

Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)
http://www.phoenxplm.com.au/email/2014_signature/signature_videoCenter.jpg

Thanks for your reply Ben Smiley Happy

The NX Log File seems to be reading my template.

Here is the NX Log report, seems to be reading the file.Here is the NX Log report, seems to be reading the file. Here is my template added to the "ugs_sheet_templates.pax"Here is my template added to the "ugs_sheet_templates.pax" When starting the drawing from my model, "exes_detail_a0" does not appear.When starting the drawing from my model, "exes_detail_a0" does not appear.

The template I added to "ugs_drawing_templates" does however work. The problem with this is that I end up with two files for one part - the actual part and then a drawing linked to that part. I would preferably want the drawing to be in the background of the part (one file).The template I added to "ugs_drawing_templates" does however work. The problem with this is that I end up with two files for one part - the actual part and then a drawing linked to that part. I would preferably want the drawing to be in the background of the part (one file).

As Cowski said...

You edited ugs_drawing_templates.pax

This is used by the "file create new" dialog - as you show.

To add a sheet to an existing file, you need to edit the SHEET template file - ugs_sheet_templates.pax

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

[ Edited ]

And note when you add a sheet to an existing part, the sheet template part preferences MAY NOT be used - it may keep the preference of the existing part you are adding the sheet to (I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but I may be wrong).

So make sure your "base part' preferences are correct as well.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be steemed than diseaseled

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author DollaHane
‎09-09-2016 02:50 AM

You don't see your template because you created a millimeter part and your template is listed in the pax file as English. If you create an Inch part file you'll see your template.

Ben
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author DollaHane
‎09-09-2016 02:50 AM

"I would preferably want the drawing to be in the background of the part (one file)."

If you want the model and the drawing in the same file, you will need to modify the template file that you use when starting a new model and add your drawing border and title block to it instead of using a dedicated drawing template. Having separate files for the model and the drawing is referred to as the "master model" technique; it offers several benefits and is generally the preferred way to work with NX. The downside is it creates more files that you need to manage.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for all the feedback guys Smiley Happy

I have managed to solve the following problems:

- Both .pax files are working ("created a millimeter part and your template is listed in the pax file as English")

- I've made a "Drawing Standards" file for all the annotation preferences. 

However having to change settings for monochrome and background colour is still a problem (When using sheet templates), as making any changes in the customer defaults takes no effect.

In another forum Cowski mentioned that "some of the customer default settings are session specific and some are part specific."

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=289739

(EDIT: For anyone experiencing this issue read the following http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=292576)

So looks like I may need to live with that if detailing from a sheet template in the background. 

The best would probably be to use the "Master Model" technique as Cowski mentions.

Thanks gents