Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing views, show part of an assemlby

Creator
Creator

I am fairly new to NX and am using NX10.  I have an assembly with many parts and want to a succession of views in the drawing set to show how parts are added.  I have looked at using Arrangements and Reference Sets to specify what parts show up in a view but they do not appear to be the correct way to go.  Creating a view of the entire assembly then hiding appropriate parts is really tedius and time consuming;  I'm betting there is a much better way.  Can somebody share with me how that is done?

7 REPLIES

Re: Drawing views, show part of an assemlby

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor
Were you using "Hide Components in View" to hide the appropriate parts? If not, take a look at that command. As you've probably found, you can suppress components for individual arrangements and specify an arrangement for a view. Reference Sets are applied to all views, so probably not an option in your case.

You could place components on different layers and use "Layer Visible in View" to only show the component layers you want in that view. There's also "Add View of Part" - when you insert a Base View you can expand the "Part block" at the top of the dialog and add a view from an individual part to your assembly drawing sheet.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

I used Hide Components in View, but given the number and layers of parts it is quite tedious.  Does the Layer visible in View refer to the model layers or layers created in the drawing?  As far as I can tell so far it refers to drawing layers;  it would be easier to assign parts to layers in the model.  So it looks like Arrangements would be an appropriate tool to use.  So I would create named arrangements, suppress appropriate parts for each one, then specify that arrangement when creating the drawing view, correct?

Jim

Creator
Creator

It took a bit to figure out how to use Arrangements, but it is working nicely.

Thanks Ben,

Jim

Is your drawing a separate part to your assembly? If it is then its likely that your assembly was added on a single layer to the drawing file. You can manage layer propagation up through levels by editing component properties. With the drawing as the work part, right click the assembly node in the ANT, chose properties and note the Layer Option on the Assembly tab. You can inherit the assemblies layer options up to the drawing level.
Regarding Layer Visible in View, the layers you have managed in your drawing part file (in the modeling application) are the ones you can enable/disable in your drawing views. In my opinion, arrangements would be more cumbersome to manage than Hide Components in View (or Layers Visible in View). Your steps to create arrangments are correct.

Ben

Documented caveats:

When you add an assembly arrangement to your drafting view, the arrangement is copied to the drawing file. You can then change the arrangement displayed in the drafting view by right-clicking the drawing file in the Assembly Navigator, selecting Arrangements, and then choosing the arrangement you want to display. Do not delete the arrangement in the drawing file as odd drawing behavior will result.

Caution
If you select the default arrangement to appear in a base view, the input is ignored, and no arrangement is assigned to that view.

Ben

Creator
Creator

AHAA!  That's what I'm looking for!  I did do the drawing as a separate part file.  Now I've activated the drafting function in the assembly file, created a view, and can turn on/off visibility using the layers.

Thanks Ben!

Jim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can import the view with all components in the assembly and use Hidden Components option by Selecting view >> Edit as shown in attached image.