Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing with Part Families

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

I create a part family. It has 10 parts in it.

Master part also has a drawing in it.

Other parts in the family also get the drawing in them and gets updated.

The problem is, when the dimensions on the part changes and gets bigger for instance, and the view in the drawing goes out of border of the page.

The user wants to change the scale to fit the view in the borders of the page but can not save it.

What can we do?

Cem

2 REPLIES

Re: Drawing with Part Families

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I have vague memories of running into this and using and using expressions to set either the view scale or the scale of the entire drawing.  I had to set up the expression first (hopefully you have an expression with the total part length, and you know the drawing size).

I thought it worked, but maybe it didn't (must have killed those brain cells at PLMworld ;-)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Re: Drawing with Part Families

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You can indeed use an expression to drive the scale of the drawing view.  Here is an excerpt from the Drafting Help collection:

Make a view's scale associative to an expression:
  1. Select a drafting view from the graphics window or Part Navigator.

2. Right-click and choose Settings.

3. In the Settings dialog box, expand the Common node, and select the General node.

4. In the Settings group, set the Scale option to Expression.

5. Select an expression from the list and click OK.

NOTE:  The units associated with the expression are ignored, and only the value of the expression is used to set the scale of the drafting view.

(Note that no brain cells were destroyed in the effort to transfer this information....)