Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Monitor

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

With the new features in NX11 I see a real good oppurtunity to use spread NX on 2 monitors. My question is how do I do this and will I be able to have something like an assembly on 1 monitor while having an indivual part open on the other? 

Thanks

7 REPLIES

Re: Dual Monitor

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Imperial,

Some good questions. Ok for starters the only time you will see the option for using dual monitors is if you have a computer connected to a dual monitor set up. The options will appear in the Resource Bar options dialog ( where you set if you want the navigators pinned or on the left or right). Your second question is a little more complex. Currently you can have mutliple display windows in NX in the one session and they each display the same geometry, You can achieve what you want with some extra work by setting layer rules in one particular view, ( Format- Layer Visible in View), this relies on components having their own layer which you can either make visible or invisible dependent on you needs. You can then save that view if you want for future use.

Looking in to the future we are always looking at improving the way we work on assemblies and I believe there is a proof of concept project in the pipe line to look at having multiple displayed parts but as I say its only a project and may not reach release code in the future.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the help. Your solution isn't really what I was looking for but it sounds like you guys are working on it. I also to CAM work and the option to have NX stretch across both screens, with one displaying Cam and one displaying either the Drawing or the Model would be extremely helpful for quickly modifying a part or checking measurements or displaying hole information all at the same time.

That is sort of similar to my idea of having an individual part on one monitor that I could work with and an assembly with that part in it on the other monitor that showing me how the assembly updates when making changes to individual parts. I understand you can already see this but having the individual part on a separate monitor would be cleaner and make working with it easier.

Thanks

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Open another session of NX and put it on your 2nd monitor. Now you can have your CAM file open and the drawing open.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Cowski,
I have tried that in the past and I believe I had issues when I went to save the part. I can't exactly remember what I did but I did have some sort of issue. I could always try again and see what happens.
Thanks

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Make sure to save parts only in one session when you are working in native NX (without Teamcenter).

It is would be great if one could open parts in NX read-only, then there would be no issues.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

In native NX, you can change the "read-only" attribute on the file. In the NX open file dialog, right click on the part file, choose properties and check the "read-only" option.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Sure, but that also makes the file read-only in all other NX sessions, not only in those I like to use as a viewer for this part Smiley Sad

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide