Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicating assembly/saving as new assembly

Genius
Genius

Hi,

As a result of my inexperience, I am currently working on an assembly which sources parts from multiple locations on my D:\ drive. However, I need to move the assembly to a new location on a networked drive so others can access it.

My issue is that if I were to copy the assembly and its child components to a new location, the assembly would still reference to my D:\ drive - this would be fine for me, but not for people without access to my PC's D:\ drive.

Is there a way to save the model and its child components into a new location, with updated component references? Apologies if this is a simple request but I can't figure out a solution.

Thanks,

Alex

8 REPLIES

Re: Duplicating assembly/saving as new assembly

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You will need to have the setup their load options to use search paths to find all the parts. See the search folders here.

Search Folders

Scott

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I suggest using the Create Clone Assembly command.

This will load an assembly and components from multiple directories, then create copies in a location you specify.

Refer to the Help Documentation for more information

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

In addition to the load options and cloning function already mentioned; if you want to move your part files to a new directory and allow others to open them using the "as-saved" option, there is a utility called "ug_edit_part_names" that you can use. After moving your files, this utility allows you to edit the references in the assembly so that anyone using the "as-saved" load option will get the correct files.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

if the components are still in different locations use the first time the seach folders in the load options.

if all te components are placed in the same folder as the assembly then use from folder.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

And just a general caution -

When working outside TC, the more copies of a file (i.e. same filename, different folders) that exist, the harder it is later to go back & figure out which is the "correct" one to use.

If you are the only user, it is not so bad, but if there are multiple users, it can get "interesting"

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius
Thanks RonY, this seems like the perfect solution (although I am currently away and unable to test it)

Genius
Genius
Thanks cowski,
This sounds likes a good solution; however for my needs/abilities I think the Clone Assembly function will be more suitable (although I am currently away and unable to test)

Genius
Genius
Hi Ken,
Yes, this is one of my concerns; aside from simply providing access to colleagues, I aim to remove fragmentation of parts and move them into one location and delete the old files, keeping the latest-level files in one place.