Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge Blend constant radius, vs taper on a drafted surface

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Please see attached part, 

I have a simple square part, I want to add draft to the part.  I also want the corners to have edge blends on them.

If I add  fillets (edge curves) in the sketch, and extrude with draft these fillets will become a taper with a centerline that is perpendicular to the top surface. Red surface

Now if I extrude the part with with just a simple square and draft, then add the fillets afterwards, the fillet will be a constant radius, and the centerline of this fillet will be parrellel with the draft. Green surface

Is there a way that I can control the centerline of an edge blend, to say keep perpendicular to the top surface?

I could probably estimate with a varaible fillet.  My real world example is not a square,   So it makes things a little bit more fun.

6 REPLIES

Re: Edge Blend constant radius, vs taper on a drafted surface

Phenom
Phenom

@sdeters,

See if this works.

Extrude the body without any Blends or Draft.  Use Offset Surface on the 4 faces to which you wish to apply the Blends and offset them inward at a distance equal to the radius value you wish to use.  Apply your draft to the solid body.  Next, use Trim & Extend & select the 8 edges of the offset surfaces nearest the faces you wish to blend (the Tool can be set to Body Faces and they will all pop out to meet the solid body faces with draft).  Now use Face Blend with Tangency Control to apply the blend and pick any of the surface edges to be the tangent hold curve for each Face Blend.

Not sure if this is what you're after or not.

-Tim

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I don't think you can do this with Edge Blend.

But Face Blend has an option to use a "Swept Disk" rather than a rolling ball. You control the orientation of the moving disk by using a spine curve. In your example case, your spine curve would be a vertical line.

The disadvantage of this approach is that the blend surface will be a b-surface, rather than a nice simple cylinder or cone, so subsequent computations may be more troublesome.

山田
yamada

Gears Phenom

Thanks for the feedback.  I will try out the examples posted. I looked into the  disc option, yes it is b-surface vs a nice radius taper.

Thanks again.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Sorry i think i am bit late with my response...but nevertheless you can try variational sweep +trim body too. Offcourse since you said the body may not be square so i am not sure how will it react to that but one thing i am sure of is that you can have a better constrained surface.

VS.jpg

Gears Phenom

With V sweep this is a B-rep not a true radius correct?  I would not be able to tag a radius dimension at the top and at the bottom?

Thanks for another option.

Phenom
Phenom
@sdeters,

From my experience with splines in drafting, it depends on how drafting interprets the curves - sometimes you will get a radius value that is easy to "find", other times it might be way off.
-Tim