Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit vs Edit with Rollback

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have a sketch as a top level feature in an assembly, and I'm using it (via a WAVE link) to create another component in the assembly.  I'm trying to understand some behavior I'm seeing.

If I edit the sketch (without rollback) I see the profile but can not actually edit any of the geometry. However, if I "edit with rollback" I can actually edit the geometry.  Why the difference? In a regular part (component) model, I can use either to edit a sketch profile.  But for some reason it's working differently here.

Thanks for any help with this.

edit_vs_edit_w_rollback.png

5 REPLIES

Re: Edit vs Edit with Rollback

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

In NX there will be a two type of sketching envirnoment 1. direct sketch 2. sketch in task environment,

if you go on edit option it will be directly go to direct sketch mode. if you use option 2 it will go to sketch mode. The preferable option is "edit with roll back"

Regards,

Ponraj

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for the response. I knew there were two sketch modes (not sure why there needs to be two), and I believe the sketch task environment automatically rolls back, which is why it works with this.

But I still don't understand what the normal edit (without roll back) is doing, and in particular why I can't edit the sketch in this mode. Any thoughts?

Phenom
Phenom

The attached image explains to you what the difference between the two methods.
With the simple edit you have many difficulties to select or add new entities.
This is just one example.
I have set in the customer default the automatic editing with rollback because in that way I can have the project always under control.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks for your response and example.

I think where I'm struggling is understanding what is really happening in a non-rollback edit. This is a history based model. So how can you edit a feature in the history tree without it effectively behaving as if it were rolled back? Unless it's limiting edits to those that don't effect downstream features. Is that what's going on?

Phenom
Phenom

You'll find that NX is a very complex and powerful cad. Historically the rollback has replaced the procedure: make current feature >>> edit features.
The workstations of the past were much less powerful than now and then edit the features in that way was very expensive.
There are also other aspects of rollback, one of these is the one shown in the picture that I attach.
Ciao