Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electronic circuit diagram

Creator
Creator

Hello,

I need help regarding the use of NX11.

I have just installed this software on the computer and i'm a little bit lost.

My company ask me to modify some electronic circuit diagrams and create others but i don't have the files anymore. I begin with just the software.

I have to familiarize myself with the tool.

Is it possible to guide me where can i create an electronic circuit diagram? And does it exist a library with electronic components? If yes i have to create it or i can find some existing library with basic components like resistor or capacitor..?

The aim after is to take the NX Electronic diagrams and use another software CADENCE for the rooting. 

Thank you very much for your help,

BR,

Ben14 

6 REPLIES

Re: Electronic circuit diagram

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @ben14,

Do you know if you have the LTX plugins installed?

Most companies that complete the type of work that you're being asked to do use an add-on written and supported by LTX Software (ltxsi.com), who are a Siemens PLM Partner.  They have two products; NX EPAK and NX SCHEMATICS.

• NX EPAK creates IDF files that can transfer data to Cadence.
  • NX SCHEMATICS creates wiring diagrams and piping schematics and works with NX Routing.  It's not suitable for PCB's.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

Hi @BenBroad,

Thank you very much for your answer.

If I have well understood I can't realize electronic circuit diagram without a LTX plugin?

I think I don't have plugins in my computer just the software NX11. I have investigated but I don't see something like that. Where can I see plugins? If existing of course Smiley Happy

In the two solutions presented NX EPAK and NX Schematics I guess NX EPAK is the most adapted to do what i want : for the communication with Cadence after to realize rooting of PCB.

Thank you very much again. These information help me a lot!

Regards,

Ben14

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

There is no seperate plug-in available (by default in the NX install)  so you need to acquire the install from LTX itself. I can send you the details of the person seperately if you wish so... else you can get in touch with your local Siemens contact also.

Best Regards

Kapil

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hi Ben,

of coarse you can handle circuit diagrams in NX without using LTX add on Software.

The Question is, what you want to do.

If you will create only Schematas, you can use the Routing Logical Application. But you hav to create an Routing Library for that. Yes create and not use ane CARDENAS Libraries for that.

If you want to use the logical Data from your circuit diagram to biuld the electrical loom as 3D Models in "NX Routing electrical" ist it an good Idea to use the LTX Software add on. Better is to use  Menthor Graphics or E Plan ;-)

BR

Thomas

Siemens Honored Contributor Siemens Honored Contributor
Siemens Honored Contributor

Hi @Thom 

of coarse you can handle circuit diagrams in NX without using LTX add on Software.

The Question is, what you want to do.

Yes, you could create schematics in NX without LTX.  However, LTX provides the tools that would simplify the design process and allow the exchange of data between NX and ECAD products.

The questions were:

• how to edit/create 2D schematics in NX to be set to Cadenas for routing?
  • does a library of electronic components exist?

If you will create only Schematas, you can use the Routing Logical Application. But you hav to create an Routing Library for that. Yes create and not use ane CARDENAS Libraries for that.

The OOTB Routing Logical application is documented as an add-on for Routing Mechanical.  You can read more about Routing Logical here:

If you want to use the logical Data from your circuit diagram to biuld the electrical loom as 3D Models in "NX Routing electrical" ist it an good Idea to use the LTX Software add on. Better is to use  Menthor Graphics or E Plan ;-)

From my experience I've found that ECAD software (Mentor, E Plan, e.t.c.) is used to create the 2D schematics and netlists.  The netlist data is then imported into NX to create the 3D representations.  In the case of wiring looms, the Electrical Routing application is used.  In the case of rigid or flexible PCB's, the PCB Exchange application is used. 

Per the LTX website regarding EPAK: 

This product is used to read and write IDF (Intermediate Data Format) files. IDF files are used to transfer geometry and placement data to and from Electrical computer aided design systems such as Mentor and Cadence. The transferred information can then be used for design processes such as interference checking and verification of boss placement. The typical use for Epak is where you have NX for packaging design, but use a different software package for electrical design and printed circuit board layout. Epak is used to transfer the information between the two packages using two flat files.

Given this information, it appears that the EPAK application provides the interface between Cadence and NX, where Cadence would be used to create the schematic and NX used for the 3D representation.

The Schematics application allows the 2D schematic to be created in NX: 

This product is a schematics capture tool that allows the user to place devices, create connections between the devices, then generate reports (such as bill of materials and connection lists) for use in downstream processes. Integrated into NX, it uses the same user interface as other NX applications, reducing learning time and increasing productivity.

At this point I believe @ben14 should have enough information that he can progress with his task.

Regards, Ben

Creator
Creator

@BenBroad and @Thom,

Thank you very much for these complete information.

It's more clear for me!

BR,

Ben