Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equivalent to SE "Part Copy" in NX?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm new to NX (coming from SE) and am wondering if NX has an equivalent to SE's "Part Copy" command?  That command allows you to copy an existing part (associately or not; as a design body or construction body) into a new part file and modify it (if a design body) or use it as reference (if a construction body) for new geometry.  Very useful!

In SE I often used it to create a series of parts that were mostly the same except for some minor feature differences.  It was considered more robust than using SE's Family of Parts.

Thanks for any help.

12 REPLIES

Re: Equivalent to SE "Part Copy" in NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Part copy...At Part level or Assembly level?

Considering Part level, Use File > Import > Part, It will import the all parametric features of source part to the current part and you can modify them as per your requirement.

Considering Assembly level, Use Wave Geomtery Linker command with settings to have associative option.

Upon unchecking Associative option, Non parametric body will be created which can be edited using Synchronous Modeling commands.

Regards,
Ganesh

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My interest is at the Part level.

Will the imported part be associative? If so, then this should work!

The Wave Geometry Linker sounds interesting also, but I'm not sure it's available in the entry level (Mach Designer) NX package (which I'm trialing). Do you happen to know ?

Thanks for the suggestions!

EDIT:

I tried the import and realized this is not like the SE part copy.  As you mentioned (which I overlooked) is that import brings in all the parametrics.  So it's essentially an independent part from the original, whereas SE's Part Copy brings in a linked copy that is associative to the original.  So any changes or updates to the original part get propagate through all the part copies.

It sounds like the WAVE Geometry linker will do this, but I'm not sure I'll have access to this feature in the basic NX package.  

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It is WAVE geometry linker you are looking for.

Regards, **bleep**

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

"It sounds like the WAVE Geometry linker will do this, but I'm not sure I'll have access to this feature in the basic NX package."

You should be able to create and maintain wave links with the basic NX modeling license. There is an "advanced" wave license that gives you more capabilities (freeze/unfreeze links, position independent links, etc), but it isn't needed for the core functionality.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

With basic modelling license I can define product interface in order to use them in other parts by WAVE interface linker which is pretty similar to partcopy in SE.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I was reading about the WAVE Geometry linker, and it does sound similar.  But does it come with the basic (Mach Designer) modeling license?  I was told it's an add-on for all except the high end package (and not cheap!).  I hope that's wrong.

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT: 

I looked into this further and realized that the WAVE Interface Linker and WAVE Geometry Linker are two separate features.  So the basic package probably does have the WAVE Interface Linker.  The WAVE Geometry Linker I expect is an addon option.  Fortuanately, it looks like the WAVE Interface Linker, although not quite the same as SE's Part Copy, may be a reasonable substitute for most situations.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

WAVE geometry linker is also available in basic packages. It brings the tools for linking geometry, datums... inside the assembly.

Genius
Genius

Wave Geometry Linker command allows you to copy an existing part into a new part file and you can modify it, like e.g. if you created any casting body and then you want to add machine operation feature new file with associate copy of casting body that time you can use Wave Geometry linker command.

and if you want to create a series of part and were mostly the same except for some minor feature differences that time you can use Part family (using spread sheet) where u can add /remove feature for different instances like YES or NO type.

RRG

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I thing the closest way is use "move" command with copy option and than use "make unique" which saves the copied part as a new one. But I am not sure about connections with other parts, they could be broken.