Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Importing STEP file

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello all.

I've downloaded a STEP file from the Molex website with the intention of importing it and (once saved as it's own part) using it as part of an assembly.

However, I get the message 'Translation did not comlete'. The pop-up screen shows that the translation progresses right to the end before this error occurs. No log file is produced.

A collegue of mine has sucessfully imported the STEP file himself and we've both been using the standard translator settings.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Darren

5 REPLIES

Re: Error Importing STEP file

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Posting the translation log file, or the STEP file, might help.

Also, what specific version of NX9 (i.e. MR / MP info)?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

How would I attach the STEP file? I've tried using the 'Browse' button when repling but the content didn't match the file extension so it won't attach. Sorry for the rather daft question.

No log file from the failed translation.

NX9.0.0.19 NX Phase 19. No patches.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @DarrenLeslie,

Did you use "File > Open" or "File > Import".  If one method failed try the other to see if it works.

You're using the base version of NX9.  The newest version is NX9.0.3, also patched to MP 15.  Installing the latest release might resolve your issue if the previous suggestion does not work.

I doubt it's the step file that's the issue if your colleague is able to open it, so no worries about uploading it to the forum.  That said, the forum accepts zip files, so just zip the step file.

Regards, Ben

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Another suggestion - make sure there are no special characters in the directory path of your STEP file. Try placing it in C:\Temp and then translate it.

Also, if you're using "File > Import" into an existing part, try saving the part first and then import the STEP data.

Regards, Ben

Experimenter
Experimenter

I've updated to 9.0.3.4 and that seems to have done the trick.

Many thanks.