Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error/Information Messages

Phenom
Phenom

NX 9  TC 10

I get this question a lot, regarding the error messages in NX.  Example, I have a studio surface and the information message says, "Start limit no longer intersects chain 2".  Which is great, except the studio surface is made up of "Section Curves" and "Guide Curves", so what is "chain 2"?

Hitting the "i" in the pop-up alert doesn't toggle anything on/off to help pinpoint the issue.

Experience helps, you know what has affected things in the past, but a clearer indication would be nice.It is a selected group of curves.  "What set of curves in what Section or Guide is not explicit.".  Essentially saying NX knows there is an issue, but can't tell me exactly where the issue is...reallyl?  Why specifically tell the user "chain 2", if it has no idea what chain 2 is either?  In that case, it could say, "Start limit no longer intersects Bob".

Do other users find this confusing?  I know since I started this job, where the company is transitioning from on CAD package to NX, I hear a lot of questions on the vague information and error messages, and of course explanations on how the previous software was better at this.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
4 REPLIES

Re: Error/Information Messages

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Each section or guide can be made of multiple curves. If you use the "tangent curve" selection rule and select a curve for the first cross curve; cross curve 1 will be made of a "chain" of curves.

Open the "details" pane in the part navigator and click on the magnifying glass; it will show the 'sections', 'chains', 'loops', etc that make up the primary and cross curves. 

Phenom
Phenom
Thanks Cowski1, you have to dig down pretty deep to finally see what "chain 2" is, and even then it doesn't want to highlite the entire chain, you have to dig further to the pieces of the chain.

This is good info though, you have one upped GTAC.
-Dave

Phenom
Phenom

In my case the issue was with "chain 2", but while digging thru the suggested Dependencies and Details, I see 'chain 1" listed 4 times, which is somewhat expected, but had the issue been with "chain 1", how could you narrow it down to which "chain 1"?

Chain1.jpg

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I agree that these types of error messages could be more helpful; I don't know why it didn't just point you to "chain 2 of section curve 2". I believe that clicking the information icon will highlight which cross/guide curve the message applies to; but since it was already highlighted when the dialog opened, there was no change in the display when you clicked it and it didn't get your attention.