Genius
Genius

Hello,

since NX8.5 there are two new view "engines" (?) that can be set up for views:

* exact

* smart lightweight

* lightweight

* exact (pre NX.5)

in NX 8.5 we used the old pre NX8.5 because we do not trust the new features and Siemens itself told us not use them productive as there might be some errors...

Now we are going to switch to NX 10 by the end of the year and I think after two major versions it could be worth the try...

Has anyone used the two new engines productive yet? Which one? Can an old view be "converted" to a new one? (refiling?) Or only by recreating?

What is the difference between "exact" and "smart lightweight"?

regards,

Josch

7 REPLIES

Re: Exact Views in NX10

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Hi Josch,

In NX 8.5 we introduced a new hidden line processor (HLP) and new memory efficient architecture for drawing views. As you noted along with these changes two new view representations were added, Exact and Smart Lightweight.

Smart Lightweight view representations take advantage of the new HLP. The new HLP works with lightweight geometry is faster and uses less memory than the HLP for precise views. The new HLP supports many rendering options (e.g. hidden lines display, smooth edge display etc.) not supported by legacy Faceted Rep views.

Both Exact and Smart Lightweight view representations take advantage of the new memory efficient architecture. The benefits of the memory efficient architecture can be summarized with the following two main points:

1. Efficient Data Model - The data model used by the new architecture is more memory efficient. It stores the data in a more compacted way, which takes less memory to store the information/data regarding the drawing. This enables creation of large assembly drawings with lesser memory.
  2. Geometry Sharing - Before this architecture, the extracted geometry was stored per view. So, if there are N number of views, there are N number of copies of the geometry. With the new architecture, there is only one copy of the geometry and is shared across all the views. Only view specific information is stored with the individual views. This enables creation of large number of views with lesser memory compared to the previous architecture.

The efficient data model and geometry sharing across all the views reduces the overall memory usage needed to create drawing views. Reduced memory usage in turn leads to faster loading and better performance as it avoids unnecessary memory swapping. The efficient data model and sharing geometry across all the views also reduces the files size on the disk especially when creating a large number views in the same part.

In answer to your specific questions:

1) Can an old view be "converted" to a new one? (refiling?) Or only by recreating?

No, it is not possible to convert between the old legacy view representations (Exact [Pre-NX 8.5] and Lightweight [Faceted Rep] views) and the new view representations (i.e. Exact and Smart Lightweight); however, it is possible to switch between Exact and Smart Lightweight view representations. This capability did/does not exist for the Exact (Pre-NX 8.5) and Lightweight (Faceted Rep) views.

2) What is the difference between "exact" and "smart lightweight"?

See details on the new HLP and memory efficient architecture above, but the main difference between Exact and Smart Lightweight is that Exact views provide a more precise rendering and display of the geometry on a drawing. Smart Lightweight views are optimized and ideal where performance and memory efficiency are more important than display precision, such as typically the case with the production of large assembly drawings. Smart Lightweight views save you time and memory with the ability to load the assembly lightweight instead of using exact.

Smart Lightweight views also leverage a concept called Regional Update which tracks the regions of the view which contained modified solids and limits the update and rendering of the view to those regions. Regional Update is performed automatically when updating smart lightweight views. By limiting the update to those small regions which actually will change, the update will be significantly faster.

I would encourage you and all customers to use the new view representations. More information can be found in the TDOCs. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Dave

Genius
Genius
Very good Explanation. It helps a lot.
Only another question: Why is it no possible to convert the views? Because most of the drawings then will not get the new views for many years. Because many drawings get a new Version (which indeed is a copy of the old drawing) and the user will refuse to make a total new view because of the work to make every Annotation new...
So only for totally new created drawings the new views will be available. Is it planned to make a "Migration" from old views to new views?

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Glad to hear that the info I provided was helpful. With regards to your question about conversion of the older views to the new view representations, significant changes in the view representations resulted in some technical challenges implementing a automatic conversion mechanism with no risk to quality. Note that support for editing legacy views will remain in the product and that drawings can contain a mixture of old and new view representations.

Regards,
Dave

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi Dave,

i've found you explanation very usefull and i have a question for you about it. I've developed a custom NXOpen application to read data from the model through a selected drafting view. In Nx8.5 i can do this just having care to set the view as Exact (Pre NX8.5) with "Extracted Edge" option disabled. Now with nx10 i cannot extract model info through view. how can i disable the extracted view option in NX10 ?

regards

Alessio

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@alessio_malpotri

If you were getting information from the edges and drafting curves shown in the view, you will need to update your code to handle the new views. There are a few new functions to link the "drafting curves" back to the model; see the following thread in the programming forum:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization/Selection-of-edges-in-d...

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you cowsk1,

i’ll check your solution asap. However, I’ve probably find how to re-enable Exact (pre-nx8.5) option inside customer default options by defining a new custom standard!

Alessio

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Dave,

I have two Questions on View represtation type

1)What happens if we have Pre NX8.5 views in NX 11 ?

2) Can we have both view type in NX11 ?

Regards,

Rajeev