cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export STL default tolerances

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'm looking for a way to change the default tolerances when exporting an STL file (triangle tolerance and adjacency tolerance). I looked through the customer defaults and part preferences, but didn't find anything obvious. Is there a setting that controls these tolerance values? If so, where is it?

4 REPLIES

Re: Export STL default tolerances

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

@cowski1 Check this article on the Knowledge Bases that i have made.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/3D-Printing-NX-11-STL-Expor...

The only thing that i experience is that you can set the defaults but the export still comes op with the ootb default of the angular Tolerance.

Also i don't know why siemens has the 18 degree angulare tolerence default on because you can see it in your print that the round shape is facetted.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Phenom
Phenom

As well as @cowski1 I cannot modify the STL tolerance default values in customer defaults, also I don't understand the corrispondence-matching between the 'old' and the 'new' tolerance values.

Cesare

stl75.jpg

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I have just test some things.

The angular tolerance looks that it doesn't do much.

When changing the chordal tolerenance you see the same thing changing in your export as by using the traingle tolerance in the NX10 export dialog.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I should mention that I'm still currently using NX 9, so I'm looking at the "old tolerances" as mentioned by @Cesare. The tolerances seem to be part specific; if I change the value and perform an export, the same values will be used for the next export. I can't find a setting to control the initial default value. I guess that I'll need to update the template files to use the new value and hope the users make the proper change when exporting out an exisiting model.