Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to Star CCM+

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

NX 9

We are looking to export a series of parasolid bodies from an assembly, to be use by Star CCM+.  Multiple sets of bodies, all at different locations, so the Star guys would like to have all the solids named, so that Star will know "dogbone" from export A, is the same as "dogbone" from Export B, C, etc. to make their setting up of the simulation easier.  ie name 65 bodies once in NX, instead of naming 65 bodies 10 times in Star.

Has anyone done this?  so far my test naming hasn't resulted very well.

Thanks!

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Export to Star CCM+

Legend
Legend

Quite some time ago I wrote a program that read a series of 3 values for the heights of the 3 planes from a text file, applied those values by editing the values of the 3 expressions for solid in components and exporting the setup as a single Parasolid transmit file with a unique name given to it.  The program then cycled back, read the next set of 3 values in the text file, update the 3 expressions and export another Parasolid transmit file using a next index number. 

I did this for John Baker and it seems to me what you are looking for is somewhat similar but different in that what I was able to do is set the solid bodies in NX before exporting the parasolid file whereas your requirement is to have a method for setting up the parasolids after exporting.

I understand that doing the set up in NX depend on being able to do it from a program but appying names should not be that difficult.

Frank Swinkels

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you name a solid body before exporting it to parasolid, the name will be applied to the parasolid body. When you re-import the parasolid to an NX file, the body will contain the name that you used (turn off the "timestamp" option in the part navigator to easily see all the body names). However, if memory serves, it will also have a suffix attached; so if you named the solid "dogbone", the imported body would be named something like "dogbone_id123". I'm not sure if this suffix is applied at the time of export or import. What has your testing in Star CCM+ shown so far?

Update: I ran a quick test in NX 9 and it appears that no suffix is applied to the body. The named body imported exactly as it was named.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

So far, if I give the solid body a name at the component level, the name passes thru to Star.

If I apply the name at my top level assembly, the name does not.  Since the same part can be used in two locations, I want to name them at the assembly level I am exporting, so I can name right, left, etc.

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10