Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to dwg, solid/filled objects

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, I have some labels that I've created in NX and am wanting to export the drawing into an Autocad dwg format so that our supplier can make the labels.  At this point, I can save export the label drawing into a dwg file, but all of the solids/filled areas in the labels come across as just an outline in the new drawing.  Is there a way to export the drawing so the new Autocad drawing looks the same as it does in NX - solid object instead of just an outline?  Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Export to dwg, solid/filled objects

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower,

The DWG translator does not support inserted images or shaded views (exising ER 2199123).  Area Fill patterns (solid or otherwise) and crosshatching should be translated.

The standard workaround is to export your drawing as a CGM file, import the CGM back on to an NX drawing sheet and then export the drawing as DWG.

Regards, Ben

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks @BenBroad.

Maybe I have a setting that's not correct, but the quality wasn't very good when I imported the CGM back into a new drawing.  It includes the outline, but the edge of the solid is jagged.  Do you know if there's anything that can be changed to improve quality?  Thanks

cgm import results.JPG

Update:

I changed the resolution to "high" in the CGM export settings and there is improvement.  I'll work some more to see if there's anything else that I can do.  I'll try changing the line width for the outline.

cgm import results_2.JPG

I increased the line width in the NX part and then increased the line width in the CGM export, but I still get the jagged edges.  I checked out some text on the label and it looks like the snapshot below.  Any recommendations?  Thanks

cgm import results_3.JPG

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @s_hightower,

It is just the text that you're having problems with now?  Did you try changing the Output Text from Polylines to Text?  Here's the page to the documentation for Export CGM, which might help.

Regards, Ben