Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting a sketch as a dxf file

Builder
Builder

I want to export a sketch in dxf format for use in another application. I am able to do this by entering the drafting application, create a view with the sketch, then export that drawing as a dxf file. However, there are a couple of issues with that approach I'm trying to work around:

1. When I export the drawing and import it into the other application, I'm getting not only the original sketch, but also the "view boudary" and the sheet boundary from the drawing.  Is there anyway to exclude those from the export? 

2. The sketch objects are created around a (0,0) origin point, but when they're imported into the other application they're appearing at some other position based on how they were positioned on the sheet.  The (0,0) point is always the lower left hand corner of the drawing sheet.  Is there any way to preserve the original coordinate points of the sketch objects when exported?

Thanks for any help with this. I don't use the drafting application much, so this has been a bit of a struggle.

Pat

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Exporting a sketch as a dxf file

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

For View Border

border.png                                                 You also export a dxf from Modeling by Selected Object Curve

Ciao

Builder
Builder

@Cesare wrote:

For View Border

You also export a dxf from Modeling by Selected Object Curve

Ciao

Thanks Cesare. I didn't realize you could export directly from the modeling application to dxf. I tried it and saw where I could select the objects, but for some reason despite the export appearing to go fine, when I import the file I get an error "the imported file contains no geometry objects".  I played around with some of the export settings but to no avail. Any thoughts?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@pmk3 wrote:

@Cesare wrote:

For View Border

You also export a dxf from Modeling by Selected Object Curve

Ciao

Thanks Cesare. I didn't realize you could export directly from the modeling application to dxf. I tried it and saw where I could select the objects, but for some reason despite the export appearing to go fine, when I import the file I get an error "the imported file contains no geometry objects".  I played around with some of the export settings but to no avail. Any thoughts?

If you select the sketch object itself when exporting, you won't get anything in the export. You need to change your selection filter to curves and select the sketch curves to export.

Highlighted

Builder
Builder

@cowski1 wrote:

If you select the sketch object itself when exporting, you won't get anything in the export. You need to change your selection filter to curves and select the sketch curves to export.

Yes, that was it. I discovered that myself before seeing your reply.  And in addition to avoiding the extra sheet elements, doing a direct export also maintains the original curve coordinates when imported. So it looks like all the issues I had are resolved!

Thanks for your help. Now if only I had figured this out 3hrs ago! Smiley Embarassed

Gears Phenom

I better explain what I and @cowski1 said.

In the image below you can see only ONE line in the graphic area. When I select all TWO object are selecting.

This is because the CURVE and the SKETCH are selected. DXF files does not support sketches but only curves.

Ciao

sketch.png

Builder
Builder

@Cesare wrote:

I better explain what I and @cowski1 said.

In the image below you can see only ONE line in the graphic area. When I select all TWO object are selecting.

This is because the CURVE and the SKETCH are selected. DXF files does not support sketches but only curves.

Ciao

sketch.png

Thanks Cesare. What I was doing was clicking (once) on a curve in the graphics window.  This caused all the sketch curves to highlight, but apparently I was just selecting the "sketch object" (and hence nothing was exported). I have to admit though, it's a bit confusing to me why those are different. Intuitively, it seems like the sketch object should include the curves. So when someone selects a sketch, what exactly are they selecting?

Gears Phenom

Ciao @pmk3,

in the image above you can see what you are selecting in a sketch (for example).

You can select the FEATURE or the feature OBJECT.

The same with a component in an assembly, you can select the COMPONENT or the SOLID BODY and so on. So, based on what yuo have selected you can take the appropriate action, for example edit feature, or constraint a component, or change the color of a solid body.

Ciao

quick.png