cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting all solids to individual component files.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I have a part with many solids that I want to create individual components for. I usually just export the parts individually, but I have a large number of solids, and was trying to find a way to automatically make them all end up as separate .prt files to be used as components later.
Glenn Balon
Production: NX 11.0.1.11 MP6 Primarily CAM
12 REPLIES

Re: Exporting all solids to individual component files.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If nothing else is suggested, you could try recording a journal, then editing the journal to make it "generic" (e.g. "pick a solid" then "enter a name" and the journal does the rest.  Or if this is a "one time" thing, and the solids are identified somehow, it could all be automatic)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

You can use the "create new..." command to make a component out of a solid body. Someone posted a journal at eng-tips that automates the process.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Do You need to save histories in new parts?

Сhannel for NX users (Russian language) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvf0Rp4Sy6bRRyTYBF9rnJQ

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

If feature history is not required, then you may export the Parasolid file. By default it will create an assembly stucture.

You may also do the same with JT files and select the option to create separate files.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
No need for history, just a separate file for solid body.
Glenn Balon

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello, Thank you for reply, I would just end up with a parasolid file then. I am looking for a separate .prt file for every solid body selected. I know .stp files retain the assembly structure, I have never seen parasolids do that, unless I am missing something.
Glenn Balon

Siemens Genius Siemens Genius
Siemens Genius

Glenn,

Please take a look at the attached movie. You basically select all the bodies and export to Parasolid. One .x_t file will be created. When you open the x_t file in NX, the system will automatically create separate components. Then once you save, each solid will be in an individual component.

Regards,

Abe

(view in My Videos)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Ok I will try the open parasolid. I had always been using import parasolid in the past. I do not believe it retains assembly structure if you use the import function into an existing file.

Glenn Balon
Technics NC LLC
847-494-5366
Glenn Balon

Phenom
Phenom
Is this Abe Learner? Just checkin'.