Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting part with current created WCS instead of the Absolute WCS

Hello, 

I am trying to export an assembly that was created around a part model, it is currently positioned in a way that is not optimal for our programmer so I want to create a WCS on it that makes it easier on him so he doesn't have to go through the trouble of translating it.  My question is how do I export that part with that created WCS instead of it referencing the Absolute WCS?  I have tried both parasolid/step and neither give me the results I am looking for, is there something I am missing?

9 REPLIES

Re: Exporting part with current created WCS instead of the Absolute WCS

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

One way to do it:

1. Create a new, empty file
  2. add your part as a component
  3. orient the component as desired
  4. export the body (keeping the new assembly file as the displayed part)

cowski1 wrote:

One way to do it:

1. Create a new, empty file
  2. add your part as a component
  3. orient the component as desired
  4. export the body (keeping the new assembly file as the displayed part)

Well that will give me the results I am looking for, I was hoping there would be a simpler solution.  It would be nice if the system just ignored other csys' and just used the currrent active one.

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Why can't your programmer do the first 2 steps of Cowski's suggestion and put coordinate systems (WCS and MCS) wherever he wants them?

GE wrote:

Why can't your programmer do the first 2 steps of Cowski's suggestion and put coordinate systems (WCS and MCS) wherever he wants them?

Because he is working in Mastercam and when the parts come in they are at odd angles. He has to use dynamic transform to line them up, which is kind of a pain, before he can start working on it.  I just wanted to go ahead and set it up for him so he didn't have to go through the trouble.

Siemens Pioneer Siemens Pioneer
Siemens Pioneer

Oh, OK.  I thought I was missing something.

Legend
Legend

Create an X and Y line based off the WCS you want the programmer to use.

should be a couple of clicks for them to orient the model to machine position.

I cut with WorkNC, their Direct NX translator reads NX WCS if you name them. So I just pick that WCS as my UCS. But prior to getting the direct translator created the lines.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX12.0.1.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Pioneer
Pioneer
Similar question here. I want to be able to export a set of points from both the customer provided absolute WCS and a local (offset) NC WCS, is there a way to toggle between the two? Creating additional files hardly seems like the most streamlined method for doing this...

Legend
Legend

When "exporting" Iges or Step you can select a saved WCS or the current WCS as its export position.

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 11.0.2.7 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:NX12.0.1.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Phenom
Phenom

If you don’t want to make a parent assembly; I would record a Macro/Journal to use Synchronous Modeling: Move Face, specify from CSYS to absolute CSYS, then export. After that delete the last feature “Move Face” or exit without saving.

Tip (from My previous CAD experience):

Wireframe model allows to window select all the faces including hidden faces behind visible faces.

Michael Fernando

Die Designer
NX 11.0.2.7 + PDW