Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Expressions driven by arrangements

Is there a way to influence the value of an expression by means of arrangements?

9 REPLIES

Re: Expressions driven by arrangements

There is currently (as of NX 9, at least) no way to link expressions and arrangements.

Oke, it sounds like you are pretty sure. I was already afraid of that.

Thanks for your response anyway.

Not directly, no. If you're willing to use "Update for External Change" you can get creative.

For example, if you have a distance constraint between two components, that has a unique value for each arrangement, you could create a measurement expression between the components (at the assembly level) whose value drives other interpart expressions using conditional expressions. The caveat is that measurement expressions do not automatically update when arrangements are changed (ER 7278506), hence the need to use Update for External Change.

Regards, Ben

[ Edited ]

take a look here.  It is a good work around

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=238760

Thanks for your advice Ben. I already tried to use the measurement expression but indeed this value didn't update after switching between the arrangements. However, I wasn't aware of the option "Update for external change". This option works well if you do the update manually, but is there a way to changed the default NX settings so that the update will be done automaticly after a change of a arrangement?

... is there a way to changed the default NX settings so that the update will be done automaticly after a change of a arrangement?

Unfortunately not and unfortunately there aren't any NX Open calls to perform an Update for External Change (ER 6771744), so a user exit (or post action) would not work either.

Regards, Ben

Ben --

There's a KF function in pts_func.dfa (used for immediate updates in Product Template Studio) with an accompanying C function that can initiate an Update for External Change:

Defun: %ug_updateForExternalChange(Boolean $spreadsheet_only)
@{ CFunc("KF_update_for_external_change", "kfdfun"); } Boolean;

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com

Hello Taylor,

To be honest your remark is a bit too technical for me. Is that something we can use in our company as well? And after using it, is there an automatically update possible?

If so, I can discuss your remark with our NX/TeamCenter department.

Regards,

Joost

Joost --

There is really not an easy way to have Arrangements influence Expressions today. 

The "Update for External Change" method above using a measurement is probably the best workaround that doesn't involve some touchy programming.

Allowing the changing of an arrangement to trigger a modeling update would be a good ER for the Assemblies team.

Taylor Anderson
NX Product Manager, Knowledge Reuse and NX Design
Tel: +1 (602) 441-0683
taylor.anderson@siemens.com