Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude with single-sided offset collapsing face

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello, 

I am attempting to create an extrude with single-sided offset but it is collapsing the face sometimes and only building one of the collapsed regions. Is there any way to force it to build all of the regions or switch which region it builds every time? 

NX 9.0.3.4 MP13

7-5-2016 8-05-01 AM.png

DHuskic Nx 9
4 REPLIES

Re: Extrude with single-sided offset collapsing face

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Could you send a screenshot of the result you are gettting?  I'm not sure what you mean by 'collapsing the faces'.

Also, it appears that you have 2 areas where the purple slots are abutting the edges of the part. This may be causing your issue.,

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am using the Face selection intent to select all the edges of the face highlighted below:

1. Face for curve selection.png

If I do a regular extrude normal to the face, and without any offset, here is the result.2. No offset example.png

When I start putting in a negative single sided offset, the offset causes the edges around the ball end slot to collapse on the edges going on the outer perimeter of the face. This collapses the offset and instead having multiple extrude bodies as results, it only chooses one region. 3. -025 example.png

When I increase the offset, the region changes for some reason.

4. -0625 example.png

This is the result that I would like, for all 3 regions to be extruded:

5. Ideal Result.png

DHuskic Nx 9

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You are going to have to select 3 separate regions to extrude.

Use Single Curve selection intent, and use the 'Stop at Intersection' toggle.

What is happening is that using the negative offset causes the outer edges of the face to 'overlap' the edges of the slots, thus causing the 'collapse' you mention.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Extrude with no offset applied, split the extrude into 3 bodies and apply the offset to each body.

"Stop at intersection" won't work in this case, because there is no intersection in the original curve chain.