Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extruding text for a label

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I'm attempting to make a simple label by creating text curves and then extruding them a short distance.  At first, I can get a few lines to extrude up as a unit, but eventually it junks out and different parts of the text curves fill in.  For example, that triangle in an "A" and the center circle of an "O" are filled in, so I am having to spell each letter out of a word to get the extrude to work.

Why does this happen?  Is there anything I can do to fix this? Irritating and time consuming.  Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Extruding text for a label

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

A lot depends on the font used; I've had pretty good luck with the Arial family. In the text command use the "associative" and "join curves" option. When you start the extrude command, change the curve selection rule to "feature curves"; this will pick up all the text curves in a single pick (and the selection will update when the text changes).

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note there may be some tolerance issues (some characters have a very short segment, so the extrude gets confused) - if so, try tightening the tolerance

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I have been using Ariel font when this happened.  That is a good tip, though.  It is simpler.  I adjusted the tolerance and it worked.   Thanks