Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F8 Key (NX12 settings vs. Default Laptop function)

Creator
Creator

When I am using the 3D software NX12, the "F8" key does follow the NX settings.

When press it always goes to the laptop default option of: Project (PC Screen, Duplicate, Extend, & Second Screen Only) Options.

I have looked into NX settings and the attached image is what I find. 

At this point I don't understand why the F8 (snap view), doesn't work while in NX12??

Thank you for any help!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: F8 Key (NX12 settings vs. Default Laptop function)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

This is likely a laptop issue rather than an NX issue. On my laptop, the F keys have handy laptop functions assigned to them (screen brightness, volume, etc). To make an F key work as intended (ignoring the specific laptop functions), I have to hold down the "FN" key on the keyboard while pressing the F key of choice. When I have the laptop docked and have access to a full size keyboard, this is no longer an issue.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @GreatScott88!

Are you pressing the "Fn" key while you hit "F8" inside NX?

If so, try it without the "Fn". Just hit "F8".

When using my laptop, it will behave as you describe (it goes to the Dell "F8" for "Project Display") if I include "Fn", just as it should.

If I'm docked and using my external keyboard, it seems to ignore that "Fn", should it b accidentally pushed, and behave as expected.

But you don't need the "Fn" pressed for NX, so best is to avoid it on any keyboard.

HiH.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi,

You can probably change what the F-keys do in the BIOS of you laptop. I cannot tell you the exact thing to do, but I am sure you can Google what is needed for your specific machine.

Regards, **bleep**

My Dell laptop has an "Fn" lock key on the "Esc" key. This will toggle how the function keys perform.