Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faces to solid

Hello,

I thought this topic has been discussed and re-discussed on here.. but i can't seem to find it.  Please point me to another thread if it exists.

I'm looking for a way to merge ~1500 faces which could/should make up a solid body.  I thought the new funcitons in NX12 would do this, but perhaps not as it isn't really a faceted body.. seems like it was an IGES as some point and now only the outer faces remain with the inside hollow. 

Is there a feature to covert these back to a solid?  Can't share the file as it is from a customer's customer... u know how it is...  This is also the chain that makes it difficult to ask for and obtain a better translation of the model. 

NX10 in production

NX12 in test

Thanks,

Ryan

3 REPLIES

Re: Faces to solid

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

If you sew all the faces together and there are no gaps, a solid body will result.

Are you importing this from a step or iges file? If so, there is an import option called "automatic sewing of surfaces" that may be helpful. This attempts to sew the surfaces together during the import process.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @ryan_trietsch,

Is this a sheet body that you were expecting to be a solid body?

@cowski1's solution to Sew everything together will work if you have individual surfaces, not sewn together.  If this is a single sheet body you can Unsew one of the faces before you Sew everything back together to make a solid body (assuming there are no gaps). 

If the Sew command fails to produce a solid body, try adjusting the tolerance on the Sew dialog to accomodate for any gaps.  Gaps can be found using Examine Geometry, or by selecting Apply rather than OK when using the Sew command (gaps identified by asterisks).

EDIT:

Perhaps this thread?

Regards, Ben

Hi Cowski and Ben,

I didn't realize sew would create a solid when there is a completely enclosed volume.  It iddn't work on the file that was sent to me, however the sew as part of the .stp import worked perfectly! Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Ryan