Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facet: display vs. export

Genius
Genius
I'd like to make the facet display settings of common solid bodies (non-convergent, non-facet) to be always consistent with the settings for exporting STL files. ("What you see is what you get")

In Facet Settings, there are three tolerances: Edge, Face, and Angle. According to the doc, all the three toleraces would be forced with the unit inch. It seems that I should set Facet Scale to be Fixed.

In the STL Export dialog, there are only two tolerances: Chordal and Angular. They should be with the default unit.

Q: How could I match Edge tolerance / Face tolerace (Facet Settings) with Chordal tolerance (STL Export)? Thanks!

Image.png
----------------------------------------------------
For a non-convergent/non-facet solid body, facet display can be generated in the graphics window by Facet Settings.

Image.png
--------------------------
To export a non-convergent/non-facet solid body to a STL file, the settings seems to be different. 

Image.png
10 REPLIES

Re: Facet: display vs. export

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The settings for the Export can be set in the Customer defaults.

The default for the angular (18) is very rough i use most of the time an angle of 1.

export STL settings

You can set in the default model template the facet settings so this will be the same as the customer defaults settings of the export.

For so far i know there is now link possible between them.

When you perform an export it's possible to show the "triangle display" so you will see the facetting of the export.

Ruud van den Brand
Pre-sales NX CAD
cards PLM Solutions

Genius
Genius

Hi @ruud_vandenbrand   Thank you for your information!

The key issue is:

• In Facet Settings, there are three tolerances: Edge, Face, and Angle.
  • In the STL Export dialog/STL translator settings, there are only two tolerances: Chordal and Angular. 

Yes, I can assign a same value to both Anglular tolerances.

How can I match the two tolerances (Edge and Face) with the single tolerance Chordal? Thanks!

----------------------

From the documentation:

Edge tolerance
Specifies the maximum allowable distance between a model edge and the facets approximating it. The distance is measured in inches. This option is useful for sealing the gaps between faces. The recommended value is 0.005.
Face tolerance
Specifies the maximum allowable distance between the model face and the facets approximating it. The distance is measured in inches. The recommended value is 0.005.
Chordal tolerance
The maximum distance between a chord and the true surface.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

There are no direct correlation between the visual facet and the settings for the STL-Export. The visual facet refinement settings is for visual only when it comes to conventional geometries such as solid bodies and sheet bodies. The setting is used to optimize performance as needed and can be adjusted by the user as fit depending on required visual performance/quality. The setting you are pointing to is a refinement factor for the visual facets only. Should you want the desired "look" and a guaranteed correlation between the facetted representations you have to first create a faceted body by using e.g. Facet Body from Body (can be done associatively). Exporting this facet body (if associative an Extract Body) to an STL file will ensure that you definitely have the same facet on your bodies before and after the STL export.

Question is why would you want to do it this way?

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman   

Should you want the desired "look" and a guaranteed correlation between the facetted representations you have to first create a faceted body by using e.g. Facet Body from Body (can be done associatively).

Thank you for the awesome workaround!

I was just thinking about whether it's possible to use NX as a full-functional tool for manipulating facet files (stl and obj), without help of any othe 3rd party facet tools. Soon I noticed lack of WYSWYG for those added conventional solid bodies.

The convergent technology is really great. I thought WYSWYG might be an possible enhancement.

---------------------------------

I'm sorry for another question:

Where can the tolerances be set for converting a conventional solid body to a convergent body in the two situations below?

• Facet Body from Body command
  • when a cylinder (analytical body) is united to a convergent body

They seem not to be governed by Custom Defaults > Gateway > Translators > STL Export.

Or a convergent body is not a real "facet body" and so don't has a well-defined set of triangles?

Thanks again!

Image.png

Image.png

Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

Not sure to what I’m answering to here as i do not understand the wrorkflow youre after but form my understanding the mapping capabilities seems to be something you are after….

Firstly if you by using Convergent technology and more precise in your case Facet Body from Body and then use this as input to your STL export you should have a one to one relationship as the convergent body is already facetted.

Regarding the setting there is currently no default Maximum Deviation setting for the actual function, it is controlled merely by the Maximum Deviation setting in the function menu.

The tolerance used for creating a Convergent Body from a Solid body is controlled by the Distance setting in the Customer Defaults under the Convergent tab.

The Tolerance in the STL export you are pointing to is a “healing” process setting where potential “gaps” or other degenerative shapes are part of your input body to produce a better output.

The Convergent Body is a real “facet body” with well-defined triangles.

Best Regards

Fred

Genius
Genius

Hi @Sandman    Thank you for your reply! Very clear and exhaustive!

... but form my understanding the mapping capabilities seems to be something you are after….

Nothing mysterious with the workflow. I just want to be able to see the to-be facets of all solid/sheet bodies whenever I want in the process of manipulating facet bodies.

The tolerance used for creating a Convergent Body from a Solid body is controlled by the Distance setting in the Customer Defaults under the Convergent tab.

I scanned through Customer Defaults, but could not find something like "Convergent tab". Could you give some clues?

Phenom
Phenom

@surfactant,

I don't believe you'll see anything in the Customer Defaults related to Convergent modeling unless you're using NX12.

-Tim

Genius
Genius

Hi @TimF    Thank you for reminding!

Siemens Phenom

Hi Surfactant,

@TimF is correct, the setting is arriving in NX12. However if you really want/need to control your facet creation or maintain the same you can associatively extract a facet bode of the two input bodies before uniting the same by using Facet Body From Body (associative toggle ON) and then unite them. The tolerance that is honored here is the session one, found under Menu->Preference->Facet Body from Body Distance Tolerance. Note that the facets around the joining of the two bodies must be modified to best fit and align the facets to each other.

Best Regards

Fred