Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FactoryCAD Files to NX9

Creator
Creator

I am working on a project that is exported from factoryCAD as a JT file.Unfortunately I can do nothing with this CAD file.  It is all fFaceted bodies and I cannot even pick points to measure from.  Can FactoryCAD export in different formats?  Or is there a way to fix the JT file so that I can use it?  I am running UG NX9 with supplier toolkit.

10 REPLIES

Re: FactoryCAD Files to NX9

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

When you open JT in NX, In Part Navigator does it show any feature like 'JT_ASSOCIATIVE_BODY'?

Creator
Creator
No I do not see anything that says that. Neither in the file itself nor if I import the file.

[cid:image001.png@01D2A6D2.16940CB0][cid:image002.png@01D2A6D2.16940CB0]

Best Regards,

Ron Farmer

********************************************************************************** Email Disclaimer: Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for use only by the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, use, dissemination, distribution, copying or printing of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. You are requested to delete this e-mail or any copies immediately and notify the sender by reply email. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. Allygrow Technologies Private Limited does not accept any liability for virus infected email or errors or omissions or consequences which may arise as a result of this e-mail transmission. **********************************************************************************

Creator
Creator

I posted pictures but they apparently did not come through.

If I am unable to use the JT file, can factoryCAD export a step or parasolid file??

Genius
Genius

As per my Experience on Factory CAD only JT translator that will export the data.

Below link will help you.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Plant-Simulation-Forum/Factory-CAD-to-Plant-Simulati...

RRG
Highlighted

Creator
Creator

Thank you for that.  Now that I know that the only file type I can recieve is a JT file....  How can I make it work in UG NX9.0?

I can not pick points, curves or anything except a surface.  I would like to make it into something like a parasolid that I can actually work with.

Thank you!!!

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Give a try for this also. Open JT file in NX, under properties > JT File tab, check 'Extract Exact Data' option.

jtoption.PNG

Creator
Creator

The button is grayed out just like in your image.  It will not let me click it.  When I click update part file nothing happens.

I have this terrible feeling that there is nothing that can be done and I will have to recreate all of the models.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If I understand correctly, FactoryCAD only uses faceted models.

NX (up to 11) could import faceted data, but not really do much with it.

In NX11, you can start treating faceted data as "real modeling" data (at least for some things)

Perhaps you should look at what NX11 can do, and think about upgrading?

Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck with remodelling

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Thank you!  I am going to try and get NX11 installed so that I can work with these files. 

One question though...  If I do can I then parasolid the solids out to use in NX9??  My deliverable is NX9.